I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Gluing guides
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 24, 2020 02:59PM

Danny,
I am glad you have the ability to make your own tools, fixtures and such; it affords an additional sense of satisfaction to the entire endeavor (just ask Roger and me). The ability to adjust your thread tension will be a great asset as you have already discovered. Concerning one of your latest comments, “I was not tightening the final wrap and pull through very well”, consider that if the tension is correct for the wrap, actually backing off a bit for the last 3-4 rotations prior to pulling the tag under with the pull-through may not distort the straight end of the wrap as much as if the final few wraps are tight.
Lynn,
I think Phil answered your question for me. The tiny rubber bands cut to the desired width from surgical tubing is about the easiest, fastest way to secure guides to the blank for static load testing yet allowing them to be moved as required. After their ultimate location is determined, I mark the blank for each guide, remove the guides and slide the rubber band out of the way .5in down the blank. I then apply guide foot adhesive to all the guide feet, and one by one install each in my machined guide alignment fixture, briefly reheat the foot and rotate the fixture with guide attached down onto the blank. After cooled and fixture removed, the rubber bands are reposition on the foot as added security and/or possibly apply a very narrow strip of tape on the tiny micro feet. Even with the guide foot adhesive, a guide can be repositioned to accommodate for blank irregularities to achieve perfect sight alignment.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 24, 2020 04:58PM

I suppose we do a combination of what is cheap, easy, known to work, and familiar.

If the guides are big enough it is quite easy to use tape. If the guides are very small I found it impossible for me.

On very small guides someone suggested starting your wrap, laying the guide over it, wrapping up the guide foot several times, and then edging the guide forward until the foot was under the threads. I could do it but it was tricky and had to start over a few times. So I tried the Flexcoat guide foot adhesive. WOW, that made things a breeze!

No problem at all if you need to move the guide after wrapping it.

I see no need for it on larger guides....but for 4's and under....nice solution for those who's hands and fingers don't work as good as they used to.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 24, 2020 09:12PM

Some prefer to do things the old, hard way.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster