I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stuck ferrule
Posted by: Bill Break (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: November 22, 2020 09:33AM

It is a black ferrule. I assume some sort of graphite .It is a Raven float rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2020 10:00AM

I guess what I need to ask, is the ferrule integral to the rod or is it something that has been glued onto the rod sections?

Date: November 22, 2020 11:04AM

Part of the rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2020 03:40PM

Then you are back to the use of cold (ice) and/or enlarging the diameter so you can gain a better purchase on it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 22, 2020 04:40PM

I suggest using the rubber gloves and giving the ice treatment many times. One of them just might work. I had a similar situation and about the 5th try with ice it came. Might be some cumulative effect, or might be that it's such an inexact process that once in a while we get it right enough to free the ferrule.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 22, 2020 07:19PM

Michael, maybe it,s the exspansion from heat and contraction from cooling over and over that works it loose...

Date: November 22, 2020 08:21PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Michael, maybe it,s the exspansion from heat and
> contraction from cooling over and over that works
> it loose...

use a hair dryer for heat and then ice for cooling, heat then cool, heat then cool..it might take several cycles..if it works let us know..

Posted by: Terry Bain (---.lightspeed.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2020 12:46AM

Bill,
If you haven't freed them up by the time you read this, try removing the other sections that are not stuck and then soak the stuck sections in a tub of ice water. I'd keep the grip/reel section from soaking in the ice water though.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Date: November 23, 2020 07:50PM

Still trying

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: November 24, 2020 09:27AM

When ice alone was not enough, I have squared off the end of a wood craft stick to use against the female end of the stuck sections. Put a towel on a table or work bench to lay the stuck sections on, have someone hold and brace the male section, and hold the stick close to parallel to the ferrule and strike the end with a hammer to separate.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 24, 2020 09:46AM

Since the rod is shorter in its current state, it may fit in a freezer. Put the rod in a freezer overnight and let it freeze up solid. Then, remove it and while keeping steady pressure on the rod, use a heat gun to expand the larger section of rod.

The freezing will have made the entire rod smaller due to contraction during freezing. Then, by concentrating heat, only on the larger section of rod that overlaps the smaller section, that section will expand faster than the interior of the rod and I would expect that the rod will easily slip apart.

This process will best be accomplished by three people.
One person on each side of the joint wearing rubber gloves so that their hands do not slip and a third person holding the heat gun to heat the joint. Be AWARE - do NOT over heat the joint which could cause the rod to fail.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 24, 2020 07:33PM

Bill,
Sorry to hear of your dilemma. You have received many good ideas and methods but apparently your ferrule is stubborn. Unless the ferrule was glued or bonded somehow, it will come apart eventually but patience may be the best method to apply. I have been unable to locate a method I saw to un-stick ferrules which required two people with each of their hands gripping one of the rod sections and crossed over the other person’s hands while pulling outward with a slight twisting motion. Hopefully, someone else reading this will be able to offer a link to the video.
As mention a few times above, affectively increasing the diameter of the blank by wrapping with a few thicknesses of a firm foam rubber or the like certainly seems to be a good idea. Vibration may prove to be very beneficial which might require a second or third party to hold the body of an engraving tool on the ferrule while outward pulling pressure is applied.
As I am certain all of us wish you good luck, I am equally certain we would all be interested in learning what finally worked to free the ferrule. PATIENCE AND PERSISTENCE WILL PREVAIL!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: November 24, 2020 10:33PM

This method might work for you.
Notice that the clamp is attached to two long piece of wood, that the clamp is used to separate.

Before moving the clamp, the rod is taped to the two pieces of rod using many wraps of tape so that the rod will stay attached to each piece of wood, without crushing or hurting the blank.

If I were to use this method, I would try it first on an old two piece rod to be sure that you have the technique down before using it on a new rod:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 24, 2020 10:36PM

Here is the you tube video that illustrates separating a two piece rod using two people and 4 hands to safely separate the rod:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 24, 2020 10:48PM

And:

[www.youtube.com]

Here is the ferrule lube that is mentioned in the video above:

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2020 10:52PM by roger wilson.

Date: November 25, 2020 07:44AM

Thanks for all the help. Have tried every method except the reverse clamp. Just going to keep at it.

Date: November 25, 2020 12:06PM

just curious Bill, but how long has it been since that rod was last disassembled? if ever..lol.

Date: November 25, 2020 01:35PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just curious Bill, but how long has it been since
> that rod was last disassembled? if ever..lol.

is it a four piece rod that has been used like a two piece rod for most of it,s use?

Posted by: Brian Babcock (---.va.shawcable.net)
Date: November 26, 2020 01:39AM

Bill, there's one method that I have used in extreme circumstances. Note that I have found ice to work pretty much all the time but upon further reflection, there was one rod that just would not come apart. Sounds like what you have. Here's what I did.

I measured the male end of the ferrule with calipers and then selected a drill bit of equal diameter. I then drilled that diameter hole in a piece of oak. I then split the oak lengthwise with a chisel hoping to cut the hole approximately in half. By doing it this way, I eliminated the kerf that would come from cutting it with a saw. I then drilled 2 holes through the width of the block so that I could put a couple bolts and nuts through to bring the block back to its original size. Now put the 2 split pieces over the male end of the ferrule, attach the 2 bolts and tighten. You should now have a tightly fitting block positioned on the male end of the ferrule. I then take an open end spanner wrench and place that on the block. Here's where some assistance can help. You're going to want to give that spanner wrench a solid blow with a hammer but you'll need someone to "catch" the tip as it comes free.

This is a bit "extreme" but it will definitely work. Good luck and keep us posted!

Brian

Date: November 26, 2020 08:21AM

Still working on the rod. Tried the reverse clamp with no success. The rod is a 13 foot Raven float rod in three pieces. It is taken apart every time. My son was fishing the St. Mary's river and the rod got submerged . It has been stuck since.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster