I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA grip removal
Posted by: David Nichols (---)
Date: November 18, 2020 06:08PM

Hello - what's the best and easy way to remove a glued on EVA grip from the rod blank - I assume epoxy was used

Thanks !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA grip removal
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 18, 2020 06:49PM

I "filet" it off carefully with a filet knife. Get's me down to the glue, and proceed from there.

Date: November 18, 2020 07:03PM

O.K. - sounds good - how to remove the 'little bits' and the dried epoxy ...?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: November 18, 2020 08:57PM

Gentle scraping and sanding will take care of the "little bits".

If you are going to install a new grip I would not worry about removing the epoxy, bond the new grip on.to it.

Good luck

Date: November 18, 2020 09:00PM

Are you trying to get down to the bare blank?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2020 09:14PM

Get some spectra type fishing line. Wearing heavy gloves, wrap a few revolutions around your hands and shave the EVA off the rod with the spectra. Easier than you might think.

Date: November 18, 2020 09:33PM

yes - down to the bare blank...

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 19, 2020 10:43AM

Hello All.

I do as Tom does, except I tie mine to two wooden handles I made from foam brush handles I've pulled the handles off of.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 19, 2020 01:03PM

Note:
One process that you might follow is to always cut from the larger portion of the blank to the smaller portion of the blank when cutting grips off a blank.

The idea is that as the knife is angled in a bit to do the cutting, the diameter of the blank is getting smaller as you cut, and the likelihood of cutting into the carbon or fiberglass fibers is reduced - when compared to cutting from the small side of the blank to a larger section of blank.

In addition, to get all of the remnants of glue from the blank, I just use gentle heat and a straight edged razor blade held at 90 degrees to the blank and simply scrape any residue off of the blank. There is a good chance that the finish will come off the blank as well, but that is fine since that section of blank will be covered by the new grip.

Gentle heat - softens the epoxy and makes its removal much easier.

Best wishes.

Date: November 19, 2020 06:49PM

Once I'm down to the glue I'll wrap a paper towel around the blank over the glue and soak it with DNA, let it sit for awhile and heat the area with a hair dryer to soften the glue. This makes scraping glue go a little easier. Pack a lunch.

Date: November 19, 2020 07:13PM

Ham and Cheese sandwich with chips and a pickle slice ??-- haha - I would like to thank all those who responded to my question.... THANKS

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 19, 2020 11:46PM

Lynn,
I appreciate the technique. However, I have never found that DNA does anything at all for making any change to hardened epoxy.

If you do have some DNA that actually makes a change on hardened epoxy, treasure it; because I have never found it to work for me for any of the different times that I have tried it.

As a result, I never use DNA. I just use heat. Soften the epoxy and scrape it off. Normally, it takes no more than 5 or 10 minutes to remove a grip - EVA or cork, and remove all of the remaining epoxy and grip pieces.

Also, normally most of the finish is gone as well, but I could care less since the blank is covered with the new grip.

Take care

Date: November 20, 2020 07:32PM

Roger, my DNA is exclusive to me! I don't know, I soaked it in something, thought it was DNA, thought it helped. I been wrong before. lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster