I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Point Blank for Umbrella Rig
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: November 16, 2020 08:12PM

Anyone built a Point Blank for umbrella rigs, say the 2-3 oz range. Looks like a PB761XXHMF or PB761HM might be the ticket, I am open to suggestion from the experts on here. Thank you for any help as always. By the way i am so impressed with all of the Point Blanks I have built. PS: Don't tell my wife I have over $900 invested in each rod and reel combo. She will probably have me committed.

Keith Langford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Point Blank for Umbrella Rig
Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: November 17, 2020 07:05AM

I bet both of those would work as I used to use a 30-50 lb line rod myself when I lived in Maryland for awhile for pulling umbrella's for Rockfish.
Moreover than anything, its the "drag" of the umbrella rig I was always concerned with.
I used a 15-30 with a 8000 Penn spinner for a time, but once you get a 30+ inch Rock on the line while trolling, that bend got a little scary sometimes!
With the 30-50 lb rods, I had Penn 330GTi conventional reels, and they handled it perfectly.
And may I suggest something that changed my life, if you haven't already thought about it, "roller tips" make bringing a fish on an umbrella a whole heck of a lot easier!

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Date: November 17, 2020 09:33AM

Should have added this will be for bass fishing, probably 30 lb braid.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 17, 2020 10:19AM

Although I have not used one, the PB761XXHMF was designed for A-rigs. I tried throwing A-rigs for a while, but that type of fishing really wore me out, it was like throwing a chandelier, not much fun. Caught some nice fish doing it and one triple header, but far too much work for me. I like my fishing to be a little less strenuous.
Norm

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: November 17, 2020 03:47PM

I have had the PB761HM on order for a while. I’m told they will be getting to the distributor in early to mid December.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 17, 2020 06:25PM

Keith, if your wife starts spending just to catch up with you, you might have to be committed!

Date: November 17, 2020 08:45PM

She is more than justified in doing that. Spending anything more than $875 on a combo is truly excessive.

Date: November 17, 2020 09:24PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although I have not used one, the PB761XXHMF was
> designed for A-rigs. I tried throwing A-rigs for
> a while, but that type of fishing really wore me
> out, it was like throwing a chandelier, not much
> fun. Caught some nice fish doing it and one
> triple header, but far too much work for me. I
> like my fishing to be a little less strenuous.
> Norm
Thanks as always Norm, I have never thrown one but they are wearing them out right now on them. Thought I would give it a try

Date: November 17, 2020 09:25PM

Kendall Cikanek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She is more than justified in doing that. Spending
> anything more than $875 on a combo is truly
> excessive.
I knew that Kendall, but I like to live on the edge, lol.

Keith Langford

Date: November 17, 2020 11:52PM

I worried when I made that post that I could be breaking the guy code. I’m glad you are laughing.

Date: November 18, 2020 07:12PM

I like how Keith said $900 "invested" in a combo. How much of a return does he need to break even? You can't take it with you!!

Date: November 18, 2020 08:02PM

That would be about an equivalent number of salmoides.

Date: November 19, 2020 06:57PM

I think I would try out the technique for couple days with some other rod before spending big bucks on something I might not like doing.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: November 19, 2020 09:04PM

Keith, jump in with both feet. I caught a 7.24lb spotted bass on Table Rock last year on the rig. I built a bunch of different rigs to see which was gonna be MY setup of choice. You will be pleased with the Point Blank. The xxhmf handles the bigger rigs Like the flash mob and other larger variants better, if you are throwing something smaller like the flash mob jr the hmf will easily handle it as long as you keep head weight down.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 19, 2020 11:11PM

Maybe I might have liked fishing an A-rig if I were using a rod better suited for it's use. I used a borrowed rod which was a real clunker, it was very heavy and felt dead in my hands. It just wore me out to fish it. I think the Point Blank might be much more enjoyable to fish.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2020 04:24PM

If I could sell all of the baits I've bought because "they have been wearing them out on them) for the price I paid for them, I'd probably be able to make 3 months worth of house payments. LOL Ok ...... maybe not ..... but I'd dang sure have more room in the closet in my fishing room. lol

Seriously though ...... I tried the A rig thing because "people were wearing them out on it" ..... I have never been so sore after a day of fishing in my life. LOL

Anyhow ..... just having a little fun .......... I hope it works out well for you.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: November 20, 2020 07:57PM

Lynn, as with most things, the proper tools just make it that much more enjoyable. Kinda like comparing Blackhawk tools to Snap On, both work but there is clearly a better tool between them.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 21, 2020 06:25PM

You're right Thomas, and I'm sure the rod won't go to waste even if he doesn't like fishing A-rigs. Just me being cheap as usual. lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster