I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for suggestions for first fly rod builds.
Posted by: Chris Jaenke (---.245.140-115.wwt.net)
Date: November 15, 2020 09:01PM

Hi all,

I am looking to build a pair of fly rods, one for me and one for the brother in law.

Looking for suggestions on a good budget blank that will make a nice rod. Neither of us are 'avid' fly fisherman so we don't need anything fancy - just looking for an affordable, quality, lightweight rod blank. ($50-$80 range) I hear the suggested universal size is 9 ft 5 wt, does that sound about right? Fish species would be stream trout, panfish, and the occasional smallmouth/largemouth venture.

I also would appreciate any guidance or recommendations on handles, guide styles/sizes, and the like!

Thanks a lot all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for suggestions for first fly rod builds.
Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: November 15, 2020 09:16PM

For general use that’s not perfect for everything you mention , a 9’ 5wt fits the bill. Once you get more involved you may find a 6 -8wt more suitable for bass and a 3 or 4wt better for trout and panfish but that’s down the road. Personally for a first build to avoid confusion, I’d search out rod kits that include all the necessary components ready sized for your blank. Check the list to the left, lots of them have this service.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.60.90.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 15, 2020 10:06PM

I've had great success with the Rainshadow products. I've built at least 8 of them for myself and family. Another option Ross suggested is look for a kit from one of the major distributors.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: November 15, 2020 11:32PM

Chris
Your email is hidden.so I can't contact you directly.
I have 2 fly rod blanks that may interest you.
One is a 9'0", 4 piece Dan Craft #5.
The 2nd is a ('0", 4 piece Gatti (italy) #6.
The Gatti was $240 and the Dan Craft was $220.
Both have been in my rack for years.
I will sell both for $150 just to get them out of my rack.
Click on my name to get email
Herb

Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: November 16, 2020 10:03AM

NFC is having a big sale. The classic is in your price range. I just built a couple and they are my favorite casting rods.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2020 12:12PM

If you have no experience building, a kit is the way to go! If you have experience, working with your supplier, you can put together all the components required. As mentioned above NFC is currently having a sale with substantial discounts and their blanks are very good. You are correct in building the 9' 5wt as a pretty universal rod.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2020 12:14PM

X2 North Fork Composites. The discount is taken in the basket. Many to choose from. A 5 weight is a great starter rod for what you want to catch and 8'6"-9' is a good length. Batson / Rainshadow is also a good choice.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2020 12:14PM

Repeat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2020 08:36PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Chris Jaenke (172.58.139.---)
Date: November 16, 2020 04:09PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris
> Your email is hidden.so I can't contact you
> directly.
> I have 2 fly rod blanks that may interest you.
> One is a 9'0", 4 piece Dan Craft #5.
> The 2nd is a ('0", 4 piece Gatti (italy) #6.
> The Gatti was $240 and the Dan Craft was $220.
> Both have been in my rack for years.
> I will sell both for $150 just to get them out of
> my rack.
> Click on my name to get email
> Herb

Thanks for the offer herb, I'll consider it!

Thanks for the recs everyone, I'll look into the NFC blanks.
For the record, I've built rods before, just not fly rods. Is there a general consensus on handle material or style that I should know about? Also some question for guide sets. Thanks!

Date: November 16, 2020 04:50PM

Handle style or shape for a 5wt is your personal preference. Cork is the most popular handle material with carbon fiber becoming more and more so.

As for guides, my preference (I only build fly rods) are single foot.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: November 17, 2020 12:38PM

I would agree on 9ft. 5wt.

Look for a sale on Batson Unity rods, PacBay Arctos, NFC (on sale now), Other options would be Rod Geeks Hook and Hackle rotates sales on Unity and Arctos every few weeks, and their in house Xi blanks are also good. There are plenty of blanks on @#$%& as well. Great buy on Diamondback blanks here: [rodbuilderswarehouse.com]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: November 18, 2020 01:37PM

If these are to be "working" rods I suggest you use short wraps on your guides and add as little extra weight as possible. Avoid embellishment. Weight slows a rod down and tires the caster. With false-casts and line pick-ups the fly caster tires his casting arm several times as quickly as the spin or bait caster. If you must embellish your fly rod do so around the butt end of the rod. Further out is leveraged weight, which will fatigue the caster at an accelerated rate.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 18, 2020 04:47PM

like Phil says..use short wraps and don,t forget the ferruls, use short wraps here too,or better don,t use frrrule wraps at all, they are not needed since the blank maker has already reinforced them..

Date: November 18, 2020 09:22PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
> If these are to be "working" rods I suggest you
> use short wraps on your guides and add as little
> extra weight as possible. Avoid embellishment.
> Weight slows a rod down and tires the caster. With
> false-casts and line pick-ups the fly caster tires
> his casting arm several times as quickly as the
> spin or bait caster. If you must embellish your
> fly rod do so around the butt end of the rod.
> Further out is leveraged weight, which will
> fatigue the caster at an accelerated rate.

Thanks for the tip, do you know if a wooden wells grip would add too much weight to the rod? I've seen wooden handles online and am intrigued by them.

Date: November 19, 2020 12:06AM

As the handle is far removed from the portion doing most of the swinging it is not as critical weightwise. Many of us that build wood grips hollow out approximately 3/4" diameter and fill it with foam reel seat cores. This greatly reduces the weight!

Date: November 19, 2020 07:47PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
> As the handle is far removed from the portion
> doing most of the swinging it is not as critical
> weightwise. Many of us that build wood grips
> hollow out approximately 3/4" diameter and fill it
> with foam reel seat cores. This greatly reduces
> the weight!

Thanks, that is very helpful!

Another question, When picking out reel seats and handles, does it matter which ones you buy (in terms of compatibility)? I have seen some handles have built in cut outs to recess the reel seat in a little, I am not interested in that however. I am looking at a reel seat that says it is a size 16 with the following measurements. Is it safe to say that any just about any old full wells or reverse half wells would mate fine with the reel seat? Or is there some factoring that needs to be done?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Jarrett Poisson (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2020 10:24AM

Check out Proof Fly Fishing. I have built a few of their blanks and really like them. Shipping is fast and customer service is excellent. Here is a 9' 5wt rod that you can add the hardware to. I just recently built it and really like how it turned out.

[www.proofflyfishing.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster