I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minimalist rod idea
Posted by: Chris Burger (---)
Date: November 10, 2020 03:31PM

Possibly a dumb question.... Is there any reason I couldn't use a large full length 6" graphite arbor as a handle by itself and tape the reel directly to the arbor? I fit one on and liked the look of the bare arbor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minimalist rod idea
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: November 10, 2020 04:16PM

I don't think a graphite arbor on its own is durable enough to endure the rigors a grip is exposed to. Graphite arbors tend to be porous and would easily wear from constant handling, also it will absorb fluids, goo and dirt which will encourage rot and mildew, The arbor will last longer if a sealer is used but it may change the feel of the grip.

The benefit of rod building is you can do any configuration you want because if you don't like the results you can always rework or completely change it. Try it you have nothing to lose but some time and material but that is offset by the experience you get.
Please let us know how you make out.

P.S. There are no dumb questions when learning.

Have fun
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 04:18PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2020 04:22PM

You could do it but would probably want to seal the outer surface to make it a bit harder. Permagloss might serve well here, or perhaps some type of urethane paint or finish.

Essentially this is what we do when we put a carbon skin over a urethane foam core - there is no magic in the carbon skin. It's just there to protect the urethane core.

Date: November 10, 2020 04:29PM

Secondary questions...

Permagloss sounds like a good idea.

Or possibly if it were to start wearing away, do you think x flock would be enough to stabilize it?

I like thinking outside the box on stuff...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 04:30PM by Chris Burger.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: November 10, 2020 04:33PM

I think I mentioned on your "arbors" thread Chris that I have built an ice rod with an FC06 Forecast arbor for a grip. I haven't fished it yet, but I like the look and feel of it and I have a second "arbor grip" on the lathe waiting to be turned.

The arbor would "shed" foam dust as it was handled because the surface is brittle and would flake off. I didn't want it shedding on me, and also didn't want the surface to absorb fish slime, etc. so I painted it lightly and that stabilized and strengthened the foam, while still retaining some of the "grippy" texture. It won't likely be as durable as cork or EVA, but should be fine for normal use. I used Rustoleum 2X primer, paint, and clear. Many people hydro-dip and coat them with epoxy. I'm not that artistic but that would look great - though it would have a smoother and maybe slicker surface.

If you unhide your email address I can send you a photo of the completed rod if you want.

Dan

Date: November 10, 2020 04:50PM

Dan,

I just went back and re-read your post in the previous thread. I guess we really do have the same taste in ice rods!

I think I made my email address visible now.

Date: November 10, 2020 04:58PM

I'm tempted to try some brush on polyester gelcoat that I have left over from some fiberglass work I did this summer.

I might end up being the guy who tries all the weird stuff around here and ends up with a bunch of strange builds (possibly nonfunctional)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 05:01PM by Chris Burger.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 10, 2020 05:43PM

I've gotten rid of a couple of my early rods just so they couldn't be used as evidence against me! Lol

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 10, 2020 05:56PM

Chris, i,m a flocking fool..so you know i did this using one of the large graphite arbors for a ice rod, not a regular rod..using the contained flocking method it,s a piece of cake to do and the grip wears like iron and can take a beating..i used the graphite colored not the flex coat yellow though they should work as well and would be lighter..i used the reinforced gorrila tape to hold the reel on, just one wrap on each foot and long enough to make.. a one inch overwrap for the tag ends which is what holds the reel..the tape will get all fuzzed up from flock but the overlap holds everything..also with flock it easier remove and reattach the reel many times using the same tape

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2020 06:04PM

Why not just a cane pole, line and hook? Old school minimalist.

Date: November 10, 2020 07:54PM

like Lance, a cane pole, line and a #10 black zonker from a slow moving kick-boat on an old delaware grist mill pond full of white and yellow perch and 9" bluegill..lol.

Posted by: Chris Burger (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2020 08:17PM

I have nothing against cane poles if that's your thing but "minimalist" doesn't mean archaic or even low tech for that matter.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2020 05:48AM

CFX makes a carbon fiber reel seat insert for skeleton reelseats. It is basically a arbor with carbon fiber skin. Extremely durable.

I am building a minimalist tiny trout stream rod. For the handle I as using the CFX insert. A section of reelseat thread on each end. Then Fuji SK2 hood. The rear and fore grip will both tighten onto the reel foot. I am cutting the seat threads back to just what I need to get a couple turns onto the reel foot. The mockup looks and feels great. Weighs almost nothing decent size grip and securely holds the reel.

Date: November 11, 2020 01:15PM

Chris, in some circles all you need to do is ty a fly on the end of your line and you can call it high tech..lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster