I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
NFC MB or SJ
Posted by: Shawn Riebe (---.midco.net)
Date: November 10, 2020 09:52AM

First, I am brand new to rod building, so total idiot. I have been reading a lot and feel like a sponge, absorbing what I can. I also want to take advantage to some sales happening in the next month to grab a few blanks to supply my winter attempts at building. I want to try the NFC blanks and a Point Blank which seems to get rave reviews. They are easier to order with limited choices. So, I want to know the difference between the NFC MB and SJ blanks. From what I have read, it seems the SJ is just a little more stout blank and the ratings back this (1/4-3/4 vs. 1/4-1 oz.). I would like to use one blank for pitching 3/8-1/2 oz. jigs or Texas rigs (possibly up to 5/8 or 3/4). The other blank for weightless flukes, Senkos, or very light Texas rigs or finesse jigs. Like 3/16 max.

The X-ray blanks for $75 seem like a no brainer to me. Maybe I am wrong on that.

My question is, what makes a blank an X-ray? What is the difference between the MB and SJ and what would fit my purpose best. I have to trust you guys here because I am amazed at what I read from this forum. You all really impress me with your knowledge and experience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC MB or SJ
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: November 10, 2020 10:45AM

Hi Shawn, and welcome to the board!

It looks like the rods will be for bass fishing. Open water or in cover? What weight line do you plan to use? How big are the fish that you're targeting?

You may already know this, but in case not: MB is the abbreviation for "Mag Bass" and SJ means "Spin Jig" and those terms describe the general applications that the blanks were designed for.

The lure weight ratings of the blanks you mention seem maybe a bit too stout for the flukes/senkos/finesse rod? Something like a 6'8" or so MXF (medium-extra fast) blank works well to cast light weight jigs, and is sensitive and responsive with good power to fight fish in open water.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (50.35.88.---)
Date: November 10, 2020 10:53AM

Shawn,

I am biased, because I love NFC, and all of the blanks are like our children :-)

A few times per year we run a deep promo on X-ray blanks because we are of the firm belief that if folks try our blanks - they will never look back and will continue to incorporate them into their builds.

There is a description on our page of what makes an X-ray blank - we chose the name as throughout the testing period, our team kept telling us that they could "see" underwater with it.

A key difference between our blanks: (One is a facebook video link)

1) Our blanks are Made in the USA.

2) We use a fiber that is micro-woven, without scrim (or a fiber binder) which makes the blanks more sensitive and strong (you can see that the fiber is oriented in both directions, which adds "hoop" strength)

3) We don't coat the blanks, as we know that adds weight, and weight is a deterrent to performance.

4) The blanks are polished, not sanded. They have a matte look. (We don't like to sand true high modulus fiber, as you will damage it in some way, and since we don't coat the blanks, we cant hide damage that may become evident later)

[www.facebook.com]

[northforkcomposites.com]

Thanks,
Alex

Date: November 10, 2020 12:28PM

Thanks guys for making me think deeper about this.

Yes, I will be using these for bass. Mostly largemouth.

I was thinking an MB 704 for the weightless flukes and Senkos and the 736 SJ for pitching flipping. I would be pitching in moderate milfoil cover, not matted vegetation. It does get fish wrapped up in the weeds and the fight is on. Most fish are in the 2-4 pound range with fish up to 6 pounds possible.
I have always heard the MB is a little softer tip than the SJ, am I even close with assumption? Would MB or SJ be the best for that application?

The other question I have is, are the X-ray or HM blanks too brittle for hard hook sets and fighting bass in those conditions? Am I better off going with the IM which I am leaning towards for that application?

Thanks again for your expertise. I just want to grab the correct blank for my first quality builds so I can evaluate future builds as well without having a rod that doesn’t work for what I intended. This is so hard for a novice builder who can’t feel these rods first. I own 14 casting rods now, but never built before and nothing like building a rod on a blank like this.

Thanks!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 10, 2020 03:25PM

In case anyone is interested, I do have some CCS measurements for some of the NFC X-ray blanks and HM blanks that I made recently.

MB 704 HM - intrinsic power (IP) is about 560 gm, and action angle (AA) is about 72 degrees
MB 705 HM. - IP 635 gm and AA 75 degrees
MB 736 X-ray- IP 725 gm and AA 71 degrees
MB 765 X-ray Neo - IP 865 gm and AA 77 degrees
SJ 703 X-ray - IP 343 gm and AA 73 degrees
SJ 736 X-ray - IP 793 gm and AA 75 degrees
Modern graphite blanks for the most part are not all that brittle they hold up quite well if not abused. If you want something that is very durable and supposedly almost unbreakable try the X-ray MB765 Neo.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: November 10, 2020 04:55PM

With the price of the X ray blanks I certainly don't fault you for looking to them for your builds. I've built two rods on the MB 736 X ray blanks and they are without a doubt the highest performing rods I have built. The CCS numbers I came up with for the MB 736 X ray blank don't match what Norman came up with though. But they do match almost perfectly, the numbers he came up with for the SJ 736 X ray. I know when I received the blanks, the dimensions of the blanks I received didn't match what was posted on the NFC web site for the MB736, but they were very close to the dimensions quoted for the SJ 736, so I may have actually received SJ 736 blanks. Personally it truly doesn't matter to me which blank I actually received as they are a phenomenal blank.

With that said, since my numbers for the MB 736 match that of the SJ 736 that Norman quoted I will say that is is not a blank I would use for baits in the weight range 3/8 - 1/2 oz and possibly up to 5/8 - 3/4 oz. It just doesn't have the kind of power I like for baits in that weight range. I will say that I fish weightless 4" caffeine shads and 4 and 5" Senkos with the rods and the rods are awesome for those baits. I also fish Texas rigged baby brush hogs with 3/16 oz bullet weights and 3/16 oz tube jigs with the rods and they are awesome for those as well. I just don't think they are big bait rods.

Personally if you want to stick with the NFC blanks, and there's no reason not to because they are awesome blanks, I would look at the MB 709 IM as a blank you'd want to build for the heavier baits you mentioned. While the blank doesn't have the sensitivity that the X ray blanks have, it truly isn't that far off, and it has gobs of power. Using CCS I got an IP of 1045, and an AA of 70 for the MB 709. It will easily handle the weights that you're talking about throwing, and it will flat out put fish in the boat. Its slightly slower action really keeps fish buttoned up as well. I find it very comforting when having a bigger fish (4 - 5 lbs) by the boat. I absolutely love the rod I have built on it.

Posted by: Rick Shaffer (67.213.20.---)
Date: November 10, 2020 05:41PM

Would anyone on this board consider trimming 2-4 inches of the butt end of the NFC MB 765 or would you just get the NFC SJ 736? Will be using 5/16 oz. to 1/2 oz. weights and Beaver style plastics. Fishing from a mini bass boat....afraid 7'6 is too long of a rod.

Date: November 10, 2020 05:59PM

Wow! Thanks a lot fellas. This is exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie out.

I just did some reading on what those numbers relate to exactly. It appears that the IP is the power or stiffness of the rod and the AA relates to the action of the rod or where the tip bends (I.e. moderate, fast, extra fast, etc.). The higher the IP, the stiffer, more powerful, the rod. The higher AA rating, the faster the rod action is. Am I even close to correct on this?

Also, comparing the HM and IM blanks. The HM is high modulus and should have better feel? The IM is intermediate modulus and will have less sensitivity but might be a little more durable? I try to take care of my rods, but in the heat of battle, sometimes they get set down a little harder etc.

Again, you don’t know how much I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. It just makes me more excited to keep trying to figure all this out.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 10, 2020 06:08PM

Rick, here a thread on the X-ray Neo that Aleks Maslov posted a while back. He states that it can be used to make rods from 7’6” to 6’9”.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 06:10PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2020 06:15PM

Shawn, you have it 100% right.

Just remember everything is relative. What is IM to Loomis/NFC could be what others call extra HM.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Rick Shaffer (67.213.20.---)
Date: November 10, 2020 06:17PM

Thank you Norman..

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: November 10, 2020 06:32PM

Shawn, your outline of what the CCS numbers mean is correct. IP = intrinsic power. The numbers Norman and I gave are the number of grams it takes to deflect the blank 1/3 of it's total length. Let's say you have 7' rod held horizontal and level. 1/3 of 7' is 28" so you add weight hanging from the tip, until the tip is 28" below where the tip was when the entire rod was horizontal.

You are also right about the HM versus IM. I would say the IM blanks are more durable. And like you, I take care of my rods in that I don't drop them or treat them roughly, but when it comes to landing and horsing fish, I some times put them in some at times, dicey predicaments. In other words, I boat flip fish. Of course there is a right way and a wrong way to boat flip a fish, but some times a fish does something you don't expect and your rod gets put in jeopardy. I've boat flipped 4 lb largemouth with the rod built on the MB 709 and never once felt I was in danger of breaking it. I wouldn't even consider doing that with the rods I have built on the MB 736 (or SJ 736 whichever it is)

Anyhow, I've yet to build on a straight HM blank from NFC, but as mentioned I don't find the sensitivity of the IM blank all that far behind the X ray blanks I've built on.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: November 10, 2020 06:52PM

David, come and live on the wild side a bit! I have boat flipped 6’s on an HM MB 705 for years!! Have also done the same with the X Ray SJ 736. When done right they can easily handle it. Shoot I have boat 4’s and 5’s on a rain shadow revalation cb70m.... Although I did screw up and it cost me a blank so ya gotta be careful when doing it.

Date: November 10, 2020 07:38PM

Awesome!!! Thanks again everyone. I feel way further ahead after this. A long long long ways to go, but a big step in understanding the basics better. Very much appreciated! I know I will have more questions soon. I promise I will try not to wear out my welcome.

Posted by: Harry Glenn (---)
Date: November 10, 2020 08:46PM

To the OP if you are going to order some blanks from NFC right now while they have their sale on ..do yourself a favor and get a NFC Delta blank of your choosing.. dirt cheap right now($37 or so) and a interesting composite of IM graphite and a unique Glass..

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: November 10, 2020 09:05PM

For $75 you can’t beat an X-ray blank. My favourites so far are the sj 736 and the sj733. The 736 I use for bottom contact baits up to 1/2oz. The 732, I trimmed a couple inches off the tip and use it for jerkbaits. I’ve had great service and they have always answered my queries promptly too.

Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 11, 2020 02:49PM

This info is gold!! Thanks Norm! I hope to be able to contribute similar info once i get a setup going

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In case anyone is interested, I do have some CCS
> measurements for some of the NFC X-ray blanks and
> HM blanks that I made recently.
>
> MB 704 HM - intrinsic power (IP) is about 560 gm,
> and action angle (AA) is about 72 degrees
> MB 705 HM. - IP 635 gm and AA 75 degrees
> MB 736 X-ray- IP 725 gm and AA 71 degrees
> MB 765 X-ray Neo - IP 865 gm and AA 77 degrees
> SJ 703 X-ray - IP 343 gm and AA 73 degrees
> SJ 736 X-ray - IP 793 gm and AA 75 degrees
> Modern graphite blanks for the most part are not
> all that brittle they hold up quite well if not
> abused. If you want something that is very durable
> and supposedly almost unbreakable try the X-ray
> MB765 Neo.
> Norm

Date: November 11, 2020 07:56PM

Harry Glenn Wrote:
> To the OP if you are going to order some blanks
> from NFC right now while they have their sale on
> ..do yourself a favor and get a NFC Delta blank of
> your choosing.. dirt cheap right now($37 or so)
> and a interesting composite of IM graphite and a
> unique Glass..

Harry, you have piqued my interest here. Would this be a rod a guy could throw a chatter bait or crank baits on? I would totally be into that. I have 2 chatterbait rods I use now, but I would love to try another. I would for sure roll the dice for $37 plus a grip, seat, and guides. Thanks for the info!

Date: November 11, 2020 07:58PM

Ross Montgomery Wrote:
> For $75 you can’t beat an X-ray blank. My
> favourites so far are the sj 736 and the sj733.
> The 736 I use for bottom contact baits up to
> 1/2oz. The 732, I trimmed a couple inches off the
> tip and use it for jerkbaits. I’ve had great
> service and they have always answered my queries
> promptly too.

Ross, I am glad to hear you like the SJ 736. I have that in my cart right now along with about 6 others and trying to narrow it down to like 3 for now. I just might have to give it a go. Thanks!

Date: November 11, 2020 08:02PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> In case anyone is interested, I do have some CCS
> measurements for some of the NFC X-ray blanks and
> HM blanks that I made recently.
>
> MB 704 HM - intrinsic power (IP) is about 560 gm,
> and action angle (AA) is about 72 degrees
> MB 705 HM. - IP 635 gm and AA 75 degrees
> MB 736 X-ray- IP 725 gm and AA 71 degrees
> MB 765 X-ray Neo - IP 865 gm and AA 77 degrees
> SJ 703 X-ray - IP 343 gm and AA 73 degrees
> SJ 736 X-ray - IP 793 gm and AA 75 degrees
> Modern graphite blanks for the most part are not
> all that brittle they hold up quite well if not
> abused. If you want something that is very durable
> and supposedly almost unbreakable try the X-ray
> MB765 Neo.
> Norm

Norman, this was an eye opener for me. It really does help narrow it down. I just wish I could tap into your brain and grab that wealth of knowledge! But I do enjoy the process and earning it, with a lot of help here should be rewarding.
Thanks a bunch!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster