I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Fish Eyes
Posted by: Dave Bruening (---)
Date: November 09, 2020 06:40AM

I am having an issue with my epoxy not adhering to different parts of the wrap leaving a fish eye appearance. This has happened with the last 4 coats of epoxy applied. Fist off, I have been building rods for over 25 years and this has never happened with consistency. In the past, I have had issues if I tried to coat over something that had cured or had been inadvertently contaminated, but this is something different. I first thought my epoxy had gone bad for some reason so I replaced it with a new Flex Coat, and have been very careful not to expose the wrap to any contaminants. I have not changed my practice, but for the life of me I can't figure out what the issue is. The only thing I can think is that it may be the blue painters tape I have been using? I can't imagine that would have the effect I'm talking about because I have even tried to wipe the wrap with DA and the problems persists. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Fish Eyes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2020 07:36AM

Wiping a wrap with DA can cause such problems. don't do it. Don't touch the wrap with tape, either. It's another possible source of the problem, although not as likely as the DA.

Assuming your thread hasn't been contaminated with anything, nor your brush, and you aren't running your fingers all over the thread during or after wrapping, these problems won't occur.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 09, 2020 09:42AM

It could be the blue tape. Here is thread from over a year ago. [www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 09, 2020 10:53AM

10-4 on Norman's comment.

Although, I have not experienced it myself, there have been a very few cases, where specific production runs of the Blue Masking tape have led to this issue.

Pick up some blue masking tape from a different source and see if makes any difference.

Best wishes.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2020 11:24AM

Fish eyes can be tricky to diagnose. There has to be some contaminant coming from somewhere. It could be silicone lubricant, airborn cooking oil, dirty fingers, or even the tape and DNA. You have to be a detective and find it and get it out of your rod building room. Good luck.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 09, 2020 12:47PM

Are we correct in assuming you have made no change in the thread we use?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 09, 2020 06:00PM

Instead of changing brands of blue tape, remove it from the equation entirely.

Date: November 09, 2020 06:37PM

I agree with Micheal, I don’t use any type of masking tape on rod blanks.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 09, 2020 08:21PM

Read the thread Norm provided the link to, there are 2 pages.

Date: November 09, 2020 08:31PM

If you are using embroidery thread such a Madera, it could cause problems. These type of threads are lubricated for use in sewing machines and if not coated with CP, fish eyes can occur.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.245.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 10, 2020 09:42PM

I have been preplexed with some of my epoxy results because there are times I use blue tape to remove dust off the first coat of dried epoxy. I have been lost as to why the fish eyes show up. Mystery solved.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 11, 2020 02:04PM

i think i may have the worst guide wrapping habits of anyone on this forum..i never wash my hands before starting..i use a fly tying bobbin and i am constantly handling the thread spool and thread..take breaks and eat something, and go back to winding without washing my hands..i only do one right thing and that is use CP on my completed wraps (usually two coats)and not touch them until finish is applied and dry..never any fish eyes..oh, and i never curse..lol.

Posted by: Dave Bruening (---)
Date: November 12, 2020 06:26AM

I didn't consider the thread may have become contaminated...I'll trash that and get new. Thanks for all the tips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster