I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken butt section
Posted by: David Bratton (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2020 08:51PM

A piece of the butt section broke off (melted), while I was heating the reel seat (I was in the process of replacing). Am I SOL, or is there a way to recover by somehow attaching another section.

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken butt section
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.121.hwccustomers.com)
Date: November 05, 2020 09:23PM

This is the fly rod whose grip you were replacing??

If you can get a piece of carbon whose taper is similar to the damaged tube - and you can clean the cork and epoxy off the grip area - it's doable by inserting the butt section into the replacement section.
Herb

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s1358.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: November 05, 2020 09:31PM

If I'm understanding this correctly, you've essentially shortened (accidentally) the butt section by some number of inches. Probably a little ragged, due to melting of the blank.

I would suggest cutting the blank off cleanly at about the location of the top of the new reel seat you're about to install. I do this on most of the fiberglass rods I build because the butt section can be a good bit broader than the bottom of a graphite blank. The objective of doing this with fiberglass blanks is to reduce the butt diameter so that a reel seat with a wood insert can be installed without excessively increasing the ID of the wood insert.

Once you've cut the butt section blank where the top of the reel seat will be, you bond in a section of rod blank. Generally, I like the insertion depth to be around 3"-4". Once the epoxy cures you then cut the bottom of the extended butt section so that when you rebuild the bottom end of the rod the butt section of the rod ends up being the same length as the other rod sections. Some people call this inserted section a "stent". I call it a butt reduction plug, as I'm intentionally reducing the diameter of the butt section. Maybe not the ideal situation for installing the new reel seat, but not difficult to work this out.

If this explanation isn't clear, feel free to ask for clarification.

Jeff

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: David Bratton (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2020 10:01PM

Gentleman, thank you for your quick responses. As you can tell, I am definitely in learning mode. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I also read Tom Kirkman’s article in the Library about extending rods. I think with all of this info, I might be able to recover from disaster. Thank you!

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2020 07:47AM

Read Jeff Shafer's post and follow his instructions. I do the same thing all the time with Fiberglass blanks. There is no reason that you cannot do this with a Carbon blank to make your repair. There is a company called Goodwinds that sells Carbon and Fiberglass Tubes, both hallow and solid in varying diameters. You can also try to find a scrap section of an old blank and salvage a piece out of that.

Some people do use wooden dowels, while it may work, they really don't have the strength vs deflection in my opinion and could fail on you.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 06, 2020 09:17AM

David I feel very bad for what happened and I apologize for suggesting to use boiling water to remove your reel seat. If you wish I will certainly repair the damage for you at no cost, including postage. If interested let me know.
Norm

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s1358.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: November 06, 2020 06:50PM

David, you never mentioned the length of the damage (I’m assuming at the bottom of the blank). If the damage is very short, it’s possible you could get by with an easier fix than bonding in a section of rod blank.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: November 07, 2020 03:40PM

Date: November 07, 2020 03:50PM

You need to be very careful when heating carbon fiber or fiberglass. Next time you remove a reel seat, try the boil method, but get your water boiling, then put the real seat into the water for a minute, see if it loosens at all, then dip it in for another minute and check if it loosens. Continue in this mode. In this way you potentially do not overheat and more gradually try to build up to the epoxy bond's lossening point. I make golf clubs and with a metal shaft you can heat the club head with a butane flame and you have no worries twisting it off. With graphite shafts it is an entirely different story. You have to heat things a bit at a time. ALSO, with graphite you can not try and twist the club head or reel seat when pulling it off the shaft or blank. It must be pulled longitudinally off the blank. If you twist it to remove from graphite you greatly increase the chance of damaging the blank. Also, one must realize that any attempt to remove a reel seat from a graphite rod may result in damage. There are no guarantees. And each expoxy seems to work a bit differently.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 07, 2020 05:24PM

I have removed many reel seats by heating them in boiling water, never damaged a blank. However, a few reel seats refused to loosen, and I had to carefully cut them off. Since you had problems, I guess that different blanks may react differently to heating. I have bent over a tip section using a heat gun to try to soften finish epoxy after removing the guides. Lesson learned. If you feel uncomfortable trying to repair the damage my offer still stands.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 07, 2020 09:39PM

Norm, with all due respect, you're an animal!

Date: November 08, 2020 02:17AM

Reel seats with wooden spacers can be the most difficult. As Norman Miller indicated, sometimes a reel seat will just not want to loosen. Cutting them off without cutting into the blank can be tedious, but with patience it works. I've been there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster