I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ramps
Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2020 12:41AM

What is the best way to do a ramp at the end of a fore grip?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ramps
Posted by: Dan Hoehn (---)
Date: November 04, 2020 10:07AM

I mix up thickened epoxy, add some pigment to it, tape off my edges, and apply. I'll use a popsicle stick, spoon, etc. and get a gentle radius if that's what I'm looking for. Remove tape while epoxy is wet and let it set up on the dryer. I'll extend the transition past the epoxy when wrapping with thread then finish epoxy over everything.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 04, 2020 11:40AM

I have use graphite arbors and sanded to desired shape and size.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 04, 2020 05:05PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you do ramps like these it helps to keep the diameter of the ramp just under the diameter of the seat hood so that you have a shoulder against which you can easily apply wrap epoxy. The light colored one is a foam polyurethane reel seat shim.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2020 02:43PM

The last one I did was drastic. I was mating a very small diameter Black Hole blank to a large diameter foregrip and had a lot of space to make up. I glued a rubber winding check against the grip and built my ramp over that. It gave me a great foundation and I feel it gave the ramp it's shape.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 05, 2020 05:52PM

Joseph, if you apply an abundance of epoxy, in two applications (or 3 with lite build), the epoxy will form a nice filet over the check. Won't be shaped like the check, but looks elegant.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 05, 2020 05:52PM

I use U-40 Quik-Bond (a paste epoxy) that I color with Xerox toner as I happen to have a small supply of their primary colors of red, yellow, blue and black. The Quik-Bond is thick enough to stay in place without running and cures fairly quickly. To shape it I use a finger wet with DNA or a metal spatula also wet with DNA. They shape well and the toner allows me to mix any color I wish.

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: November 05, 2020 09:07PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use U-40 Quik-Bond (a paste epoxy) that I color
> with Xerox toner as I happen to have a small
> supply of their primary colors of red, yellow,
> blue and black. The Quik-Bond is thick enough to
> stay in place without running and cures fairly
> quickly. To shape it I use a finger wet with DNA
> or a metal spatula also wet with DNA. They shape
> well and the toner allows me to mix any color I
> wish.

I agree u40 or 5 minute epoxy tinted with a wet finger

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.cdn77.com)
Date: November 07, 2020 10:37PM

I have started using carbon fiber over arbors that are shaped how,I want. The arbors are also used to mount the reel seat, so double duty.

Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2020 01:18AM

Hey guys thanks the advise.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 08, 2020 11:04AM

as you can see just about anything can be used to fill the void with some kind of epoxy to finish it off , it all works ,

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster