I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat removal
Posted by: David Bratton (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2020 10:18PM

Any good advice on how to remove a fly rod seat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat removal
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 01, 2020 10:30PM

Just the reel seat? Not the handle? Just the reel seat would be pretty easy. Let me know .

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 01, 2020 11:26PM

Depends on the type of reel seat. I have had pretty good luck dipping the reel seat in boil water for a few minutes. This softens the epoxy and the reel seat can be twisted off. Wear a pair of gloves.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 02, 2020 11:58AM

As mentioned above the use of boiling water will work. If you are trying to save a wood seat insert, place the reel seat in a plastic ziplock bag before immersing in the boiling water. I boil it for at least 5-6 minutes before attempting to remove the seat. It may take a couple of attempts! Be careful with the twisting as it can damage the blank!

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: November 02, 2020 02:24PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As mentioned above the use of boiling water will
> work. If you are trying to save a wood seat
> insert, place the reel seat in a plastic ziplock
> bag before immersing in the boiling water. I boil
> it for at least 5-6 minutes before attempting to
> remove the seat. It may take a couple of attempts!
> Be careful with the twisting as it can damage the
> blank!

I'm curious, but if the boiling water will soften the epoxy under reel seat, what does this heat do to the epoxy binder in the rod blank? Am I to think the heat will soften one but not the other? My point is regardless of twisting causing damage, could the heat itself cause damage to the rod blank?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 02, 2020 04:11PM

When blanks are made they are baked in an oven at even a higher temperature to cure the resins used.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 02, 2020 07:36PM

I have probably removed a couple dozen reel seat using boiling water and never had blank damage. Water boils at 212 degrees at sea level and blanks are cure at a higher temperature as Norm mentioned.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: November 02, 2020 08:14PM

Thanks. I was wondering if the boiling water would cause any blank softening that would make it weaker or softer when trying to twist off a reel seat. I just read up on curing temps and see it is quite a bit higher than boiling water is, but was more or less curious if even that temperature would soften the blank any possibly weakening it while heated up for the twist off of the reel seat.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 02, 2020 11:39PM

Depends on epoxy used to install the seat originally.
I can't remove a seat with the epoxy I use even with a propane torch.
In that case cut through the seat longitudinally with a Dremel cutoff wheel and use a screwdriver inserted into the grove and twist to open the groove until is separates from the epoxy. Then slide off.
Herb

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: November 06, 2020 08:27PM

Boiling in a careful manner has worked for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster