I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PICCOLASTIC
Posted by: David Luttig (---)
Date: November 01, 2020 03:07PM

Any idea where you can purchase this from other then from fxsupply? They don’t have it and won’t for some time. I would like to try this for tip top glueing. Tried st croix and they don’t sell it to the public.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PICCOLASTIC
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2020 06:44PM

I bought some and several people I know did as well. We came to the conclusion that it is not the same stuff St Croix uses, or we all screwed up installing tops with it. WE all had tops spin and stopped using it once we all met up and discussed it and realized it wasn't something we were doing wrong. I know other people have used it and get good results, but that hasn't been the results of the higher skilled builders I know

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2020 06:59PM

What are you using now and where is it coming up short?

Date: November 01, 2020 07:38PM

I’m using tip top glue but this just seems a little easier. However, it sounds like I just need to stick with what is working

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2020 08:28PM

I had a customer bring me a tip top that was sent to him by St Croix along with a small container of Piccolastic Hydorcarbon resin #D125. After I fixed his rod he told me to keep the glue. I must say that it is outstanding. It is far easier to use than the stick glue and holds like iron. Once I run out of this I will be deeply saddened that it can't be bought.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: November 01, 2020 08:45PM

Tom Wewerka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is far easier to
> use than the stick glue and holds like iron. Once
> I run out of this I will be deeply saddened that
> it can't be bought.

Is this the stuff you want to purchase? Click link below and scroll down to bottom of page. Plenty available...

Cheaper in quantity:

[www.fxsupply.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 08:50PM by Kent Griffith.

Date: November 01, 2020 09:03PM

Yes. I talked to them on the phone. COVID it them hard and I guess they are regrouping but right now he doesn’t have it in stock.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 01, 2020 10:43PM

David, Don't waste your time and money on this stuff. I along with other guys here have done so only to find that this blend of Piccolastic is not for tip/top use. It is not shock resistant and can break free easily with a tap causing the tip to become loose.
The stuff you and we all would like to get is from Eastman (Piccolastis #125), if you look up their product it is granulated and has all the properties associated with tip/top adhesive.
Piccolastic from Fx Supply.com comes in the shape of the size of rock salt. Too big to drop in a tip/top with out cutting or cracking this stuff. I was very disappointed after buying a pound of this stuff only to find that it ain't worth squat.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 03, 2020 03:41PM

In these tip-top to rod blank bond failures does the adhesive-to metal bond fail, or does the adhesive to graphite blank fail? You can tell if you look. Maybe the failures result from a failure to properly clean or roughen one or both the tip of the blank and the tunnel of the tip-top? Start with the simplest, most obvious explanation before looking for complexities. Archers gluing broadheads to arrow shafts and anglers gluing tip-tops to rod blanks got along fine for hundreds of years using just stick-shellac. It still works well.

Date: November 03, 2020 07:40PM

Phil, I'll send you some if you'll report back your results. I've tried it and it's not for me.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: November 03, 2020 07:41PM

Phil, I'll send you some if you'll report back your results. I've tried it and it's not for me.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2020 08:42PM

Phil, St Croix doesn't do any of that in their factory. Whoever is marketing it as the same product they are using at the factory is lying. There's no other way to put it, although I know is this day and age I'm teh bad guy for saying it, thta's what it is

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: November 06, 2020 06:05AM

David it sounds like you are trying to find a faster way to install tips i have installed a tip from st croix with the stuff they sent. I replace 100+ tips a year on party boat rods that i repair. I take the hot glue stick and put it in a glue gun .take a aluminum pie plate and run out long strips of the glue in different sizes. I then have them to cut into a piece to put inside the tip to heat and install like the st criox stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster