I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for recommendations
Posted by: John Etheridge (---)
Date: October 31, 2020 08:36PM

I am having trouble finding a rod I like. I am familiar with rod building basics and am looking for a advice for a 7’ to 7’6” blank for redfish/trout fishing from a kayak. The new rod specs are confusing, but I need it to be able to handle occasional abuse from grandchild, So not looking for high end loomis but would like something better than Walmart off the shelf. Thanks in advance.

PS have always used cork grips, but willing to try foam if they are better these days. Using 2500/3000 series reel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for recommendations
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: October 31, 2020 08:43PM

Check out Get Bit OutDoors made in USA Liberty blanks.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2020 09:16PM

All about how much you want to spend. Redfish and speckled trout have almost as many offering as freshwater bass. I'd probably look for a discontinued Baston or American Tackle popping rod blanks. They can be had for under $50 for good to $75 range for very good to great. Try Schneiders, Anglers Workshop, Utmost, Get Bit, etc.

If you are willing to pay more I wouldn't consider something like Point Blank to be fragile.

Nothing wrong with cork other than nice quality cork is now costly. EVA works and Carbon is now cost competitive and superior in many respects.

You have loads of choices. That is nice and leads to a buyers market but doesn't exactly narrow down your choices.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 01, 2020 01:16AM

Lamiglas TFP841M will take kid abuse and the higher tip angles necessary when used in a kayak when trying to get a fish in close.

Posted by: John C. Allgood (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 01, 2020 01:20AM

I recently built on a P904-MHX from Mudhole. It is a 7' 6" and is listed as a popping rod from MHX. This summer I had a night under the lights that I caught 22 redfish from 33" to 42" on 3" glow cocaho minnows on 1/8 oz jigheadss. The MHX rod handled them all nicely. It is rated for 1/4 oz to 5/8 oz lures and the current price is $82. It was all catch and release but lots of fun. Fish running under the piers supporting the lights cut me off at least 3 times. Have used rods rated from 1/8 oz to 1 oz lure weights successfully doing this type of fishing.

I would think any rod with comparable specifications would serve your purpose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 07:16AM by John C. Allgood.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (216.130.159.---)
Date: November 01, 2020 05:13AM

As mentioned above, I have built several rods for trout and redfish from "popping' blanks, new and discontinued. Also, I am really liking the Winn Grips on these rods and so are many customers.
Steve

Posted by: George Mason (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2020 07:09AM

American Tackle Bushido Popping & Crankbait Rod Blank CB72/6-12. Build it with Microwave/Airwaves or Fuji KR's depending on your reel seat and grip choices your right around $100.00

Date: November 01, 2020 11:18PM

Ok, rainshadow immp76mh-tc with carbon fiber split grips for spinning reel, probably a stradic 3000/4000. Fuji KR guides, what determines spacing? Size of guides? Did the micro guide become a useful trend or does d it fade away? Thanks, John

Posted by: George Mason (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2020 07:52AM

John Etheridge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, rainshadow immp76mh-tc with carbon fiber split
> grips for spinning reel, probably a stradic
> 3000/4000.
Fuji KR guides, what determines
spacing?
Size of guides?

>> The size of the reel as you've stated above, the overall length of the blank, the distance from the reel spool stem to the butt, with the reel in the seat where you want it on the blank, the line size, all fed into the Anglers Resource KR calculator on their website, will give you a starting point, for size of the KR's and spacing. Always check the "bullseye" (see the website), test cast and static deflect with guides affixed temporarily to ensure the number and spacing of the running guides.

Did the micro guide
become a useful trend or does d it fade away?

>> The subject of much debate and discussion. (A lot of which can be found on this board, thankfully.) Personally, I don't think its faded away just based on continued availability of the guides. I use them on every light tackle inshore spinning rod that doesn't get the microwaves, which is most. In the past month I've built two IMMWS72ML and two IMMS72ML for a satisfied local charter capt. for specks and reds.

> Thanks, John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2020 10:23AM by George Mason.

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---)
Date: November 05, 2020 04:23AM

CRB Color Series available from Mudhole. If you're not into color, they also provide the same blank in Black. Depending upon if you want medium, medium heavy or heavy action, the blank will set you back anywhere from $30 to $45 dollars. I've brought in 42 inch Redfish, 30lb Black Drum and 40lb Tarpon and its still the perfect rod to use for Seatrout.

I've never had one snap and the medium heavy 7 foot IS701MH has all the backbone you need to keep that bull Red out of the Mangroves and can still easily cast a 1/4 oz jig with a Berkley Gulp to that exact spot!

I use Penn 4000 reels, both Battle and Conflict on these rods. I'll also use the regular black EVA foam handle kits or the Winn Grip kits, both with the comfort grip handle. I pair them all with Microwave guides. A better setup I have yet to find.

[www.mudhole.com]

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2020 04:30AM by Tony Boschi.

Date: November 05, 2020 06:49PM

Thanks Tony. I think mud hole just emailed a sale flier to me. Will have to check it out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster