I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod tip top
Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: October 29, 2020 11:28AM

Building a 5wt and an 8wt. There are options for small, large, and x large tip tops. What are the standards for each wt?Thanks. Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod tip top
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 29, 2020 12:37PM

It mostly depends upon the size of knots you use. You do not want a knot getting hung-up when landing a fish, it does not matter when casting as the knots are outside the tip. Most of my customers prefer the large loop regardless of rod weight.

Date: October 29, 2020 12:39PM

Ok. Great input. Thanks.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: October 29, 2020 02:00PM

What is the size of the guide located closest to the tip top? You may want a proportional look. But as stated, the most important thiing is for knots to clear the tip top.

Date: October 29, 2020 03:38PM

I'll check. The rod I've built so far the tip top isn't proportional. I'm using the recoil titanium and they come in 3 sizes.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 29, 2020 07:37PM

Those recoil titanium tip tops are very light, so you could use an oversize tip top without measurable harm to casting. My personal opinion is oversized tip tops are unnecessary for anything much lighter than a 12 wt. and they look clumsy too. Anglers whose casting stroke creates a twisted line might benefit from a large-opening tip top.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: October 29, 2020 07:54PM

Then of course comes the question ot do you affix the tip top with epoxy or with meltable tip top glue in case it ever breaks or cracks? I promote the latter approach.

Date: October 29, 2020 08:08PM

I use tip top glue. It's actually a moot point. The recoil large tip top doesn't size small enough for the 5wt.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 29, 2020 10:15PM

Kind of always thought the REC tip top of any kind looked like they were made out of tin cans.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 30, 2020 07:51AM

Spencer, i,m still rolling on the floor!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 30, 2020 08:23AM

REC tip tops are homely as a board fence. I suspect the swaged aluminum tube is necessary because the loop can't be soldered or brazed or welded to the tube because of the nature of the NiTi alloy - so the legs must be pressed into the tube.

Date: October 30, 2020 09:45PM

I like the look of them. Old school look.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2020 09:48PM

REC doesn't use aluminum tubes any longer.
Been years.

I loved them for their weight.
Now made of stainless steel - heavier.
Changed when they came to market with black guides Stainless was able to be colored black.
Herb

Date: October 31, 2020 11:53AM

I've been using the titanium guides although I don't believe the tip top is.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: October 31, 2020 04:39PM

Ae the new REC NiTi loop and stainless steel tube tip-tops joined by welding or soldering, or are they still swaged together? Some rod-builders prioritize function, others prioritize appearance.

Posted by: David McDonough (---)
Date: November 04, 2020 11:39PM

I don't understand why anyone uses a tip top. I haven't used one for many years (fly, casting and spinning rods). I just bind on a single foot running guide (using a locking wrap) at the very end of the rod, identical to all the other running guides. The weight of the thread plus epoxy is much lighter that the weight of a tube and you can really feel the difference especially on light rods. (Of course most people who use tube type tip-tops also use a short trim thread wrap plus epoxy for aesthetics anyway). Compare the weight difference between a tip top and a running guide with the same ring diameter. The weight difference is very significant (and it is located where it matters most).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2020 11:43PM by David McDonough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster