I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Your thoughts on guides?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: October 28, 2020 07:46PM

Russell: I am convinced that guide makes and models have nothing to do with casting accuracy and precious little to do with casting distance, but I would quickly change my opinion if someone can offer evidence [AKA measurements] that some guides produce longer, more accurate casts. If anyone HAS physical proof that some guides are more accurate and longer casting don't be coy - prove it, or tell me where proof of "guide performance" can be found. You asked me to prove a negative. I can't prove a negative - something that doesn't happen. Nobody can.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 29, 2020 12:19AM

Russell,
All very well said and I agree; touché. I doubt you are in the minority; quite the contrary.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 29, 2020 05:39AM

Mark, I was pointing out that there seem to be more fresh water bass fisherman here.

I have always found it ironic that there is more diversity in saltwater fishing yet so few tackle choices compared to the resources spent on a largemouth bass. That poor guy must feel very hunted and persecuted:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 29, 2020 08:12AM

if you can cast one inch more than the other guy, you,re going to win the bass tournament..

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 29, 2020 08:52AM

I too use REC Recoils on rods I build for salt water use. Their NiTi snake guides are immune to corrosion and as light as any. One caution. If you use REC light snake Recoil guides take a Forhan wrap or two around each leg of the smaller running guides. The legs are so flexible they will back out from under your thread wraps if the rod is bumped parallel to its axis. I have proof.

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: October 29, 2020 09:01AM

Jim Ising last statement, "
100% Opinion Alert: A POINT Blank equipped with Titanium SiC or TORZITE® is a tool the likes of which you have never experienced before."

I agree with this statement 100 %. I have had to change the way I cast because of these rods and guides. None to little backcast is required, I can literally start at 12 ocklock and outcast my fishing partner by 30 yards on average, and he is using very high end well respected manufacturer's rods. The feel of the bait and structure is better than anything I have ever used as well. Jim in short these blanks are the real deal. I will echo Jims sentiment that this is 100 % my Opinion. I would also like to thank Norman for suggesting these blanks to me. Sorry to the OP for getting off topic of guides . Thank you all.

Keith Langford

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: October 29, 2020 11:59AM

This is not "proof" of anything but it links one logical thought with another.
[www.youtube.com]

And here is Fuji's perspective via their North American mouthpiece - who happens to agree with them.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 29, 2020 03:22PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phil, here we go with another job opportunity.
> Measure it.
>
> One point Keith brought up is appearance. While
> it doesn't affect performance, appearance to me is
> important. I just cannot get past those old fat
> gray rings. They just shout "Cheap! Ugly!" I
> really like the appearance of some guides, usually
> those with thin rings, black or dark blue rings,
> shiny frames, either black or silver or something
> in between. But glossy. And well finished.
>
> The RV looks sort of cool. Like it. The Alps Ti
> double foot guides on my 8 wt fly rod- nice
> finish, well polished and finished, as in smooth
> welds, etc, look like jewelry on the rod.
>
> While appearance may be unimportant to some, to
> me, looking down the rod with ugly guides is not
> the way I like to spend my days.

So very true.

Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 30, 2020 02:12PM

This is a great read as i'm in a similar position as the OP. Was researching a lot on this board on the benefits of when i should be using double foot guides vs single. And i've learned there's just so many factors and opinions :) In the end will take all this info and try it out and see what fits my style of fishing

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: November 01, 2020 01:07PM

To determine the weight of a guide you could ask the manufacturer or weigh it yourself. If you prefer to rely upon non-numerical "feelings" about guide weights you can save yourself the trouble.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster