I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Low or High Build
Posted by: Richard Bingham (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2020 07:21PM

Would you use a low or high build for a 7'6" med power , med fast action 8-18 lb, 38/3/4 oz?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Low or High Build
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2020 07:38PM

Either, just depends on what you are comfortable and good at applying. You can apply a light coat of a standard or high viscosity finish and achieve the same thickness of a coat applied with a low viscosity finish. If it takes more than one coat to achieve the thickness and covering you are looking for, whats the big deal.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.249.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 26, 2020 09:41AM

I usually apply an initial coat of low build epoxy, just enough to coat the wrap and fill the tunnel. I follow up the next day with a coat of high build. This usually does the trick. This isn't the only way to do it but it works for me.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2020 11:05AM

I recommend Flex Coat Ultra V which is a High Build formula for that rod. You can achieve a thin or thick coat with Ultra V easily and it has superior adhesion. Technique is everything in applying finish. Check out this video that changed my life on finish application:
[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 28, 2020 01:40PM

Depends upon what you are looking for. The laws of physics predict the quickest response from the lightest leveraged rod, all other factors being equal. As far as durability, I have found no evidence that multiple layers of finish, including epoxy, make rods more durable.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 29, 2020 07:20AM

For many years, I have used only high build finish and I normally complete a rod with 1+ coats of rod finish.

I always use a touch of gentle heat during the application of finish and the gentle heat lets the finish level and cover very well. Perhaps 1 in 20 rods might require a partial 2nd coat, but that is a rarity.

But, use the finish and the techniques that work best for you during your rod building. Every person is different with different tools, equipments, likes, dislikes and unique abilities that someone may not have. Such is the nature of this business.

Every rod is built essentially the same. i.e. a blank is made, components are made for the rod blank. The components are glued and attached to the rod by glue and thread. An inscription may be added or not. A finish is added over the thread wraps. The rod is dried, and finally shipped or put to use. But in those lists of tasks are the possibility of a million different ways to complete those tasks and for the individual involved, the components, and methods used are absolutely 100% correct.

But, for the next person those methods used by person #1 may be 100% incorrect.

But, just because one does a job differently, does not make the method incorrect, it only makes it different.

Have a great day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster