I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cleaning between finish coats
Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: October 25, 2020 02:25PM

I completed my first coat on a fly rod. I used a razor blade to cut out a few imperfections and tag ends. Should I wipe down the epoxy before my second coat just to make sure there aren't fingerprints or contaminates? I also need to apply my decal. If so, what should I use? Rubbing alcohol? Thanks.

Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cleaning between finish coats
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: October 25, 2020 03:44PM

Epoxy over a solvent is not a good idea. Use painter's blue tape to remove dust and foreign matter.

Most decals apply better on a thin, level bed of epoxy.

Date: October 25, 2020 03:50PM

Ok. Thanks. I'll just use a dry cloth to wipe it off.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 25, 2020 03:56PM

every person will do it a little different on the wipe down , between coats , I use rubbing A. . an let it dry , some people will say I am crazy but that is what I do , with no problems

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 25, 2020 04:31PM

Some of the blue painters tapes contain contaminants.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: October 25, 2020 05:53PM

I use a tooth brush that is given to you after you have oral surgery. Very soft.
Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 25, 2020 08:17PM

I learned a long time ago, that once I start a rod build with respect to the thread wrapping, I never ever use any type of solvent on anything through the final application of finish.

I have had issues, as well as many of my fellow rod builders have had one or more issues with the use of any sort of solvent or cleaning solution - after the rod has had the guides wrapped.

i.e. no solvent either before, during, or after the application of one or more coats of finish.

Take care

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 26, 2020 12:41AM

Gary,
Do not over-think it! Assuming your wrapping environment is relatively clean, apply the second coat of epoxy 18- 36 hours after the initial. Apparently you already have a good procedure to allow for “de-nubbing” the initial coat prior to additional/final coats = very good; keep using it = that’s what I do.
There is nothing to be gained from a solvent-wipe which can actually produce/introduce adverse conditions. A very positive (best), chemical bond between layers of epoxies is achieved while the first is still a bit “green”. A chemical bond will always be superior to a mechanical (sanded) bond. If the initial coat of epoxy has cured for more than 48 hours, scuffing the surface should be considered to achieve the best bond in lieu of the optimum chemical bond. To be honest, since thread wraps are not truly structural, 4-5 days between coats could afford adequate results.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: October 26, 2020 09:30AM

Thanks Mark. I just finished up last night. I didn't do anything between coats. Came out great.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2020 10:54AM

Just keep your hands clean and wipe the knife clean of any oils with DNA before using. If you want to clean the rod, we recommend a citrus based cleaner like Zep for Home Depot.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2020 10:11PM

When I first started I would get uneven places in the epoxy because I did not have a dryer. I would wind up using sandpaper to even out the hardened epoxy. I found that solvents like DA and Acetone would make the surface sticky and hold the dust to the surface. Water and spit actually work better and doesn't leave any residue. You need to be careful with rags or paper towels because they can leave lent on the surface. Also by using an alcohol burner it will eliminate a lot of dust particles in the epoxy that happen after application while it is still wet.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2020 10:11PM

Repeat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2020 10:13PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 28, 2020 09:00AM

Cleaning the surface of the wraps, or a first coat of epoxy, typically causes more problems than it solves.

Posted by: Bill Kennedy (---.dvnpiaaa.metronetinc.net)
Date: November 14, 2020 01:49AM

How do you guys remove the shavings from nubs-etc? They tend to stick to the surface of the rod.
Thanks

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 14, 2020 10:22AM

Hello Bill.

I use a clean dry soft brush.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster