I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Point Blank Frog Rod
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: October 24, 2020 09:50PM

What would be the best Point Blank for a frog rod, 20-30lb braid on baitcatser. I am thinking PB731MHXF, anybody got a better pick or own one.Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Point Blank Frog Rod
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 25, 2020 04:57PM

I have been using the PB731HXF. Like it a lot.
Norm

Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: October 25, 2020 08:15PM

Thanks Norman, just ordered it. I have caught fish on every rod I have built in the last 2 weeks, Man I love these rods and so do my fishing buddies that I have let try them. They all want one until I tell them I have over $300 just in materials.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2020 08:47PM

Yes they are expensive blanks, but they are really worth it. I guess my components don’t cost as much as the ones you must be using. Start throwing titanium guides into the mix the price can get high in a hurry.
Norm

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: October 26, 2020 09:29AM

Yup, that is what I am using Titanium Torzite, including tiptop with Alps MVT reel seats, dimpled aluminum trim pieces and making my own cork handles.

Date: October 26, 2020 11:24AM

The titanium Torzites cost almost as much as the blank, you are really going high end. I’m sure the rods are absolutely superb in both looks and performance.
Norm

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: October 26, 2020 03:23PM

Thanks, Keith! You know, now that you've been there, you can never go back. Norm knows his stuff.
www.pointblankrods.com

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: October 26, 2020 03:30PM

Good point Jim, I may build an entire new line up for next year on the point blanks. I know my start with y’all was a bit bumpy but it’s on the straight n narrow now.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: October 26, 2020 05:56PM

I've yet to build on a Point Blank, but I am sure I will at some time in the future. Concerning what Mr Ising said .... I've used Fuji T2 guides on my last three builds, and I am going to find it very hard to use different guides in the future. They are truly beautiful guides. Not as pricey as the Torzites, but pricey enough to push material costs close or slightly above the $300 mark.

I'm also in love with the MVT reel seat for casting rods. Pricey, but worth every penny.

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: October 28, 2020 01:54PM

I believe your right Jim, they are all incredible rods, I can cast a country mile with the flick of a wrist, and actually the easier you cast the farther it goes, I am sure the Diawa Steez reels play a part as well. And Norman has been a huge help to me, as well as everyone else, I feel like Norman took me under his wing and I am very grateful. I learned a great deal in a very short time, I am very confident in my ability to place guides and static test for best results, and the giude wrapping has improved tremendously as well as the finishing, I don't do anything fancy with wraps, I call these working rods, but they do have Forhan locking wraps on all the running guides. Looking forward to building this frog rod.

Date: October 28, 2020 02:43PM

Keith thanks for the compliment. You will really like the PB731HXF, it has a get tip for casting a wide range of lure weights, with plenty of power in the mid and butt sections for pulling big bass out of the pads or slop. I have the black T2 sic KR guides on this rod, I like the way they look, and I also use it for inshore fishing. With that said I also like and use a lot of BC Alconite guides. They give great performance at a lower cost.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster