I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming grips for mag taper blanks
Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: October 22, 2020 11:33AM

Hi all. Is there a trick to this? I had a @#$%& of a time reaming my cork handle to a mag taper blank recently ,I got it done but it wore me out! I prefer to ream by hand as I am not too sure of myself with a drill,keeping things concentric. My next build will be a lamiglas mag taper steelhead blank with a spinning G2 Aero handle kit from American Tackle. These have graphite arbors correct? How do I proceed? Thanks in advance,Robert.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming grips for mag taper blanks
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 22, 2020 12:16PM

Full length cork grips are a little more difficult to ream just because of their length, creating more friction and heat. The easiest way to ream, is to first use a Flexcoat reverse pilot bit. [www.mudhole.com] This will get you in the ball park making it easier to ream with a tapered reamer to get a good fit. Don’t be afraid to use a cordless drill to ream, I believe it is easier to keep the hole concentric using a drill then by hand. When reaming under power go in and out and just let the grip slip in your hand every once in a while when turning, this helps to keep things concentric. I have not used the AT G2 grips yet, but I assume that the arbors will be polyurethane foam and will not be full length, and probably need to be glued into the grip. These foam arbors ream extremely easily, and you have to be careful not to over ream.
Norm

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.net.kent.edu)
Date: October 22, 2020 12:30PM

Robert,

I just mounted a G2 adjustable length rear casting grip last week on an MHX FP885 cut down to 7'. I assumed the arbor material was polyurethane by the look, but it's more of a rubber. When you ream, the bits have a texture like pencil eraser bits. The arbors are about 1"-1.25" long, and aren't too terribly hard to ream. You'll find it way easier to ream than a full length cork grip. I too ream by hand and use the Batson Dream Reamers. Any time I chuck them up in the drill, my hole wanders too much. The reel seat end of the adjustable length grip did not have an arbor, so I used graphite colored Pac Bay arbor on that end.

Date: October 22, 2020 04:32PM

Yeah I have the dream reamers. They work great. I have a hard time with the drill. I feel like I do a fine job of reaming by hand,but that last rod grip wore me out!!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 22, 2020 07:16PM

Grip reaming is a little trickier than we are often led to believe, even with dream reamers. I consider the reverse pilot bits as Norm said to be money well spent. Short grips can be tough also. Things can go south in a hurry.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 22, 2020 08:43PM

The reverse pilot bits are only 15 inches total length so they won't cut a standard 14 inch rear grip, the shaft not counting the cutting head is to short, you might get a 12 inch grip done on a spinning rod version. Go to the Flexcoat site to the left and see how much length is taken up cutting a 10 inch grip
The mag taper blanks from Lamiglas aren't built any different in the butt than any other of their blanks, no concern there in building.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 01:04PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: October 22, 2020 08:55PM

One of the many reasons to glue the grip ring-by-ring directly on the blank is to avoid all that nasty stuff.
Herb

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 22, 2020 11:43PM

Reaming out grips for Fuji Point Blank blanks or any wide butt blank can be more difficult because you are taking off more of the core material, so the grip itself will be thinner. There is a greater risk of being uneven and with a grip that is closer to the blank, the flaw is more noticeable. I use dream reamers to start on a cordless drill but then I have a longer reamer that is wider at the base. I get them close then finish them off by hand to get the uneven areas out. You can make them almost perfect center this way and a good fit. You can always take off but you can't add.

Posted by: John C. Allgood (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2020 12:18AM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can always take off but
> you can't add.

Truth. That's why you go slowly when you get any where close while reaming.

Date: October 23, 2020 12:57AM

I have learned to go slow ,for sure. Thank you all for the tips. I'm looking forward to this next build a lot. Those G2 grips look awesome!

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: October 24, 2020 09:03AM

I too use a cordless drill to ream. I made my own reamers out of sections of old rod blanks, but they are fashioned the same way as the Dream reamers that have been mention. I run the drill in reverse when reaming. With the adhesive being spiraled, running the drill in forward causes the reamer to draw into the grip. Running the drill in reverse (relative to the direction the adhesive strip is spiraled) make it easier to control. At least for me.

And as Norman said, letting the grip spin in your hand from time to time definitely helps.

Date: October 24, 2020 01:54PM

Thanks for the tips! I want to be sure I do it easy and I will practice the drill bit thing on maybe some cheap cork grips .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 26, 2020 12:13PM

With a broken rod blank, a saw, two sheets of medium sandpaper, scissors, and some contact cement you can make three or four different size reams that will make tapered, concentric holes in rod grips that match the taper of butt of the rods you build and do this for decades. Just cut 3 or 4 1/2" strips of sandpaper, cover the back of these strips and most of a 28" segment of a broken rod blank with contact cement and glue the sandpaper strip on in an open spiral. $5 can make three or four sizes of such precise reamers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2020 04:08PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster