I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: NFC carbon fiber grips
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2020 08:37PM

The CFX grips are almost identical to the NFC carbonTex grips you have. I usually use one or two coats of Permagloss, but my grips do not come out nearly as smooth and glossy as the grip shown by Tom. It seems that a coat or two of Permagloss gives more of a satin-like finish for me, rather than smooth and glossy. This is because the texture of the CF is still there.
Norm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 28, 2020 12:17AM

Epoxy would yellow, Permagloss doesn't. Depending on the rod's style there can be different reel seats, they use their own design on the black and silver widows, and they are US made seats. . They also use the Alps Rapid series casting and spinning seats, the aluminum seats are Alps aiso. The 17 mm Aero spinning seat from AmTack should also fit all their grip styles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2020 12:20AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 28, 2020 05:06PM

Thank you Spencer.

I'll look into the Alps Rapid series. At first I couldn't see how the Aero would work. Now I see that after I cut the tenon off, the 17mm seat might fit over the handle.

The only thing I had that was working okay was a Fuji DPS20 in uplocking. I like down locking better. That then leaves me having to come up with a winding check. I don't think I'd like the hard edge of one right there...and it would have to be just the right I.D. and O.D.

Hmmmm....seems like I overlooked the rubber hosel option as I never use them. Forecast BH12.5 seems to be the exact dimensions I need. Total lack of bling with that solution though.

Anyhow, Thanks again Spencer as you got me thinking and out of total brain paralysis mode.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---)
Date: November 09, 2020 04:32PM

Russ,

(also, those that are looking for a smooth finish, and DO NOT want to coat the grips)

Please grab a scotch-brite - we have found that the purple ones work best, and "scrub" the outside of the grip.

It will give it a matte, smooth, finish.

This is akin to "buffing" the grips.

ALL of the Edge Rods grips go through this process.

We use a different process in laminating the braid - it is actually a carbon sleeve that is pre-pregged, and goes in to bake at 350 degrees, so you will not damage the carbon grip underneath with the above process.

Best Regards,
Alex

Posted by: Richard Bingham (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2021 02:17PM

What would be the butt for the the CTRG9-3.75?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster