I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
NFC carbon fiber grips
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2020 06:28PM

Just received some. Feel like there is nothing over the carbon fiber. Anyone used them? What did you coat them with? Is it mandatory to coat them?

Feels like it would take a few coats of epoxy or dozens of coats of Permagloss. Wasn't expecting that.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC carbon fiber grips
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2020 06:45PM

It is a personal choice, as to whether you coat or not. Some like the uncoated feel, others like them smooth and glossy.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2020 07:47PM

Which grips did you buy? The NFC carbonTex grips (CTG) are very similar to the CFX grips and the Batson carbon fiber grips. For all of these I apply a coat or two of Permagloss with a saturated foam brush while turning. Very easy to do and they come out great. Just put the grip on some sort of mandrel and turn on a lathe. Takes less than a minute to apply the finish. If you do t have a lathe a cordless drill works very well. Can also turn using a drying motor from 20 to 45 rpms. You can apply a second coat if you wish within 30 to 60 min. The NFC EFX soft touch grips really don’t need a coating, I like their matte finish.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2020 07:50PM

Al Jackson and I had a long discussion as to what NFC should do about coating, or not, their CF grips. He agreed with me that coating was better, but that many consumers would assume that the coated-finished grips would be slippery (they're not). Rather than have to engage in a marketing and education campaign to deter that assumption, he said they were going to just supply them unfinished. Rod builders could finish them, or not, so the option remains.

Durability isn't an issue, finished or not.

Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 22, 2020 12:05PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For all of these I
> apply a coat or two of Permagloss with a saturated
> foam brush while turning.

Is Permagloss preferred over say thread epoxy as a finish over the grip?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 22, 2020 12:25PM

It’s a personal choice. I prefer Permagloss, because it is very light, hard, durable, will never yellow, and looks good. Epoxy gives a thicker heavier finish, which is not as durable and will yellow with time giving it an older more worn look. Also applying an epoxy finish is a little more difficult and requires rotation for a much longer time.
Norm
PS - You can Permagloss a grip in less time then it takes to mix the epoxy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2020 12:29PM by Norman Miller.

Date: October 22, 2020 12:40PM

Here's how- [www.youtube.com]

Date: October 22, 2020 05:58PM

Thanks guys.

Norm, they are part# CTRG9-3.75 and they call them EFX/CarbonTex Grips.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: October 22, 2020 08:36PM

They are the ones I would Permagloss, as shown in Tom’s video. CTRG stands for CabonTex Rear Grip. They are made like the carbon fiber polyurethane foam core grips originally invented by Tom Kirkman, and are now being sold commercially by NFC, CFX, and Batson, and possibly by others I’m unaware of. You got a great price on them, a real deal. You will really like them, they are bullet proof and will look like new for many years.
Norm

Date: October 23, 2020 05:22PM

"You got a great price on them, a real deal. You will really like them, they are bullet proof and will look like new for many years."

That is evil Norman. Just spent another $160:)

Grips are still on sale although the blanks aren't (Thank God...I think).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2020 07:54PM

Sorry about that.
Norm

Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: October 23, 2020 09:26PM

I just built with the CFX CF grip from mudhole. First time using CF. Just to confirm they don't need to be finished? I hadn't even thought about it before.

Date: October 23, 2020 09:33PM

You can finish them or leave as is. It is really your choice. I just like the look Permagloss gives, but that’s just me.
Norm

Date: October 23, 2020 09:44PM

Thanks Norm. I'll have to find a picture of a finished one. I like the matte look but haven't seen a finished one.

Date: October 23, 2020 10:42PM

Look at the video Tom posted above to see the before and after look.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 24, 2020 02:12AM

NFC uses a prepegged sleeve material, the epoxy is the same used in building rod blanks, it's baked onto the foam core in the same oven used to bake their blanks. That's why there seems to be so little of it on the sleeve.

Date: October 24, 2020 08:16PM

Gary Goldsmith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Norm. I'll have to find a picture of a
> finished one. I like the matte look but haven't
> seen a finished one.

Hit this link and you can see a finished one: [www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Date: October 24, 2020 08:37PM

Thanks Tom. That's just permagloss applied like your video?

Date: October 25, 2020 04:54PM

Yes.

Date: October 25, 2020 05:49PM

I don't know anything about the CFX grips.

IMHO the NFC grips would certainly need a coat or three of epoxy first if you want them smooth. Guys, should I assume it would be best to use a laminating epoxy like West?

Wish I knew what reel seat and butt cap Edge was using. Not used to building with grips that have tenons and unfinished ends. Never used winding checks before. Been away from building for a bit and I'm feeling like an idiot:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster