I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphene Fly Rod Blanks by Epic Rods
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: October 20, 2020 06:56PM

The have some new graphene offerings, marketed as a resin treatment that is lighter and stronger. I wonder if it is marketing B.S. or an advancement?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2020 07:28PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphene Fly Rod Blanks by Epic Rods
Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2020 08:41PM

Go to the CTS website to the left and search on "graphene". They have some info there.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 20, 2020 09:11PM

speaking as someone who still loves and fishes fiberglass, i have to wonder if there isn,t a limit to fishing rod performance..will the day come when rods are indestructable, light enough to cast all day without fatigue, using lines that have no pound test because they are impossible break..are we taking the fun out of fishing..maybe that,s why i still love glass and probably would love bamboo.too..see what getting old does to you..lol.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2020 10:39PM

I don't think an unbreakable, super lightweight high performance rod would take the fun out of fishing. The spectre of possible rod breakage has never really caused me any delight in my piscatorial pursuits.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: October 21, 2020 01:53AM

As carbon based rod technology improves, the rods indeed get lighter and stronger, but the walls are also thinner. A tree branch, car door, a trip on the trail will still snap them quite nicely. As to glass or cane, they endure for many reasons. Certainly one reason is their slower action. While I enjoy many graphite rods, some of them are simply too fast in action for me. it is all personal preference.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 21, 2020 09:00AM

Graphene handles have been attached to claw hammers. No improvement in productivity or hammering in general has been observed.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 22, 2020 08:07PM

Learned a new word Tom. Thank you

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 23, 2020 09:34AM

Steve, it sounded a little obscene.to me..i was a ascared to look it up..lol.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 28, 2020 01:06AM

I appreciate your good natured sarcasm. Except for the first year or two that graphite III was on the market, the risk of rod breakage has never affected my fishing enjoyment. I have seen very few unexplainable failures on rods ranging from four weight fly rods to halibut lifters. During this time, technology has greatly improved. I take for granted, that with today’s resins and techniques, reputable blank manufacturers are going to nearly always turn out products that will do their job if I do mine.

Posted by: Jonathan Zambrano (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2020 01:49PM

Graphene was brought to the US fishing market by G-Rods International , you can check them out here... I built a fly rod with one of their blanks. It is a 10 foot 8wt and it is incredibly light and sensitive. A lot of my friends fish their conventional rods for crappie and swear by them.

[g-rods.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster