I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Guide ?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2020 03:29AM

I have been using Minima guides on all my recent builds. Very happy with them I can see that they might be a little less durable than some options. I recently bent during a run through the jungle trout adventure. Bent it back hardly noticeable. Anyways I am planning a rod for my sister inlaw. She is not a fisherman, loves to go, a fishing rod is tool and shes a clutz. So I am leaning towards a little more durable components. I typically run a 16 8 5 reduction of minima m then size 4 or 5 f runners. What guide will give me a similar reduction and offer a sturdier frame. I looked at the standard M guides. Height wise they are identical. I cannot tell if the guide frame is built any heavier.

Still might go with minimas. So hard for me not to build the best performing rod I can which to me is as light as possible. Just want to know an option to compare the minimas to. Thanks.

Re: Pac Bay Guide ?
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2020 09:43AM

For high match type frames with a more robust frame, look at the Fuji K series and Kigan ZH series guides. Their frames are cut and shaped so the widest part of the frame runs parallel to the blank to help reduce bending. Otherwise, I find the Y-frame 20-10-5 reduction train will get the job done and those frames are a bit more durable than the M-frames.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 18, 2020 10:37AM

The PacBay ceramic M guides are more durable than the Minimas. As Joe suggests the Fuji KL16H, KL8H, and KL5.5M reduction train coupled with KB/KT 4.5 or 5 runners are an excellent choice. Fuji is the company that started the KR concept, so you can’t go wrong using them.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2020 05:34PM

Was thinking fuji but want black frames. Looks like I will go ceramic type m. Still like to lean lighter weight which these will give me than the fuji, while offering a bit more durability than minimas.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 18, 2020 05:54PM

The PacBay ceramic M guides are similar in weight to the Fuji KR guides. Not much of a weight savings, if any. Could also use the SeaGude XOHG guides, problem is they don’t make a size XO8HG to paiir with the XO16H and the XO5.5M for the reduction train. Could use an XO20H based reduction train. You can get them in black, with either a Zirconia or silicon nitride (RS) ring. They are a little lighter than the Fuji KRs, and are approximately the same height.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 20, 2020 09:35AM

Michael,
Go with the pac bay minimas except for the first taller guide. You can use a ceramic - tougher guide for that guide. I am assuming that the tall guide is the one that is more likely to be bent than any of the others.

Or go with all minimas. A guide can be bent back a few times. Or, if you want a black guide, you can use a recoil black guide for the first guide and then use inexpensive minimas for the rest. The recoil guides can be bent back and forth many times with no damage.

Hence the reason for the naming of the gude family - Recoil.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: October 20, 2020 08:23PM

I got both ceramic pac bay m and minima m ordered. I will compare the two and go from there. Been happy with the minimas. Just unsure of the abuse this particular rod might take.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster