I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro-Kote issue....
Posted by: David Nichols (---)
Date: October 17, 2020 11:28PM

Hi guys - I have a bottle of Pro-Kote hardner that has turned a Honey color.... the bottle of resin has remained clear ...
My question is - has the hardner gone bad - or would it clear out in mixing with the resin ?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro-Kote issue....
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 18, 2020 12:18AM

Over time discoloration does happen, however, it should still be good, BUT for peace of mind I would mix a small batch apply it to a section of scrap blank and check the results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2020 12:21AM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 18, 2020 01:05AM

Your looking through a whole bottle, when you apply your thin coat you will not see the color.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: October 18, 2020 09:19AM

Yellowing happens with all epoxy finishes, and doesn't effect how it works.

Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2020 09:30PM

I've had that happen to flex coat in the past. Placed it in a small pot of boiling water for a few minutes and when it warmed up it got thinner and cleared up, just make sure the top is loose so it doesn't explode as it expands from heat. Wait for it to cool down and you should be good.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 18, 2020 10:04PM

question ????? when you heat the hardner will the yellow go away ????????? just a question

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: October 19, 2020 09:20AM

Bill Sidney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> question ????? when you heat the hardner will
> the yellow go away ????????? just a question

No - but it will be warmer! : )

I think John was referring to heating the resin to thin it if it gets thick and/or cloudy (NOT the hardner)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 19, 2020 07:12PM

Most all the wrap hardeners will yellow with exposure to light. As mentioned above it looks bad in the bottle, but un-noticeable on a wrap.

Posted by: David Nichols (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 19, 2020 09:01PM

I want to thank all that responded to my question - Thank You !
I warmed the Hardner and Resin (as I always do) and went to work....I did notice that the Hardner did 'lighten' a little bit - and when mixed with the resin, it still had the
'light' Honey-color.....however, I proceeded - in the end there was no difference after the finish had cured ---- clear as a bell - as they say !!

again, thanks to all for their input - great people here to help all who enjoy rodworking

David

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 20, 2020 09:40AM

David,
By the way, any time I notice a change in a material - with which I build rods - that I don't like, I discard it. Then I purchase new fresh material for the build.

Yes, possibly some of the fixes might mitigate the changes noticed in the material. But, as the saying goes, a bad look stays forever. Generally speaking the materials that we are speaking about are reasonably priced and if necessary to replace are not that much of an expense. Better to replace the material and feel great about the results, rather than trying something - that MAY work, but MAY also leave a hollow bad feeling in your stomach.

Best wishes.

Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2020 07:19AM

Correction, in my earlier post I stated about my finnish coat changing color. I found the old bottles I had and it was 2 part epoxy, the hardner turned red. Still worked but opted not to use it, but found it sitting next to my reloading bench.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster