I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8' walleye jigging blank
Posted by: Michael Tuma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 16, 2020 11:14PM

I have a buddy that wants a 7’-6” to 8’-0” one-piece walleye jigging rod for using 1/4oz Storm 360GT Searchbait. I am having problems finding a blank to fulfill his request and was hoping some of the great people here could help me out.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Re: 8' walleye jigging blank
Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 17, 2020 12:44AM

Back in the day a St Croix 76MLXF in SCII, III, IV or V would have fit the bill perfectly. Couple of ideas now would be a MHX popping blank, a Batson Revelation Hot Shot blank or a Batson Immortal 76ML walleye blank.

I don't build salt water inshore rods, but a 1/4 oz jig and paddle tail seems to be a pretty standard presentation and popping blanks seem like a good place to look.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 17, 2020 12:59AM

NFC has many 8 ft. SJ blanks in various powers. Strangely the line ratings don't vary, but the lure ratings do considerably, they make a Chinook salmon rod out of the SJ804.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2020 02:50AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 17, 2020 01:20AM

[www.amazon.com]

Michael,
Out of curiosity, does your friend tell you why he wants a rod of this length?

I fish a lot of walleye and I do use jigs and swim baits of this size. But, for myself, I personally don't like to do this type fishing with any rod that is longer than 7 feet.

Having said that, the RainShadow 7'6" M-L popping rod in the blank of your choice builds up into a great general purpose -- (including the type jigs that he wishes) -- walleye rod.

In particular:

IMMP76ML Titanium Chrome 7'6" 1 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz. 0.450 4.5 MOD-F ML 1.5oz. Inshore/Sea Trout

I have built a lot of these particular rods for walleye fisher folks who use the rod for several different types of walleye fishing, including the swimbait that you mention from your friend's request.

Best wishes

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.241.225.---)
Date: October 18, 2020 09:16AM

I built a 8' rod on a Batson Crankbait blank that is discontinued now for fishing Walleyes on Lake Erie, it went out as an experiment and turned out to be the best rod for that trip. The extra length gave me a little longer cast and the ability for it to load made it a great choice, currently Batson has a Judge blank that looks similar and should work well for this job: JDGCB710M-CG Clear Gloss 7' 10" 1 10-17lb. 1/4-3/4oz. 0.569 5.0 MOD-F M 3.0oz. Small crankbaits and top waters, 1/4oz. spinnerbaits.

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---)
Date: October 23, 2020 04:17PM

NFC 8'2" Hotshot blanks, perfect.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster