I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread
Posted by: David Luttig (---)
Date: October 16, 2020 08:24PM

Anyone have any issues using prowrap colorfast or Fuji nocp thread? I have been using the regular nylon thread and putting Flexcoat color preserver on it to retain the true thread color. With the nocp threads out there, I am thinking maybe I can eliminate the flexcoat step?
Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2020 08:40PM

You can, but the NCP threads give a different look - more like paint. They don't have any sparkle to them.

Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2020 09:35PM

Haven't had any issues like that but what I found is the prowrap colorfast thread doesnt lay up tight along other passes on the butt wrap . It seems to roll unlike the old Gudebrod threads that would lay flat and stay tight. The profast seems to be wound tight and likes to roll, has no stretch at all.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 17, 2020 01:23AM

David,
I agree with some of the other posts.

I only use standard nylon thread with NO cp on all of the rods that I build, unless I receive a special request.

I simply don't like the painted - artificial look that I get from either NCP thread, or nylon thread and CP applied.

Rather, I much prefer the semi translucent look that I get from normal nylon thread with no CP.

But, every client is different, and every builder is different. So, absolutely build what works for you and if it is for a client - whatever the client wishes in a rod.

Take care

Date: October 17, 2020 06:34AM

Thank you all for the replies! I will most likely stay with the regular nylon thread and use cp when needed.
Thank you again.
Dave

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 17, 2020 07:51AM

David, you might want to try something on a test scrap to see how you like it. It is a little between the no CP and CP look.

Put down and under wrap of silver of gold metallic thread. The over wrap it with red or purple. Put your finish on and see what you think. Gives it a little bit of a "candy apple" effect. You need to view it in the bright sun to see it best.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 18, 2020 04:46PM

remember cp is not just a color preserver..it seals the wrap also which makes epoxy application so much less fraught with better leveling and less bubble issues..

Date: November 09, 2020 10:39PM

I like the look without the cp but I don’t like to see the guide foot under the thread. Any way around this without using cp or a very dark thread? Been using medium/medium light blue nylon thread.
Thanks
Dave.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster