I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A 'Static' Rod
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: October 14, 2020 03:58PM

Help me out here because I am reading some confusing language or terminology concerning rod testing.

I have read in several threads the following descriptions:

"I would use what the blank tells you it needs during a static flex test."

"Upon static testing and bending the blank"

And then when I compare this use of the word static to the dictionary definition I find this:

Adjective
lacking in movement, action, or change, especially in a way viewed as undesirable or uninteresting.

PHYSICS:
2.concerned with bodies at rest or forces in equilibrium.

And so when I read the word static, I am thinking the rod is "lacking in movement, action, or change" and a "body at rest with forces in equilibrium" as in no change from its natural straight unloaded shape and condition.

So when someone says 'static flexing'... huh? If the rod is flexed, it is no longer static or, in a static position or condition, and this word or term no longer applies when flexed. And when I read 'upon static testing and bending the blank'... huh? Two different things... static testing based on definition of static means the rod is straight, not bent, and not loaded. Static testing is straight rod testing. Bending of the rod is something completely different and not static.

So from what I understand of the definition as applied, the term static can not be used to test a rod in any bent shape or flexed. Static is straight. Not static is bent.

Am I missing something? Or, just confused by custom rod lingo I am not up on???

My mind is locked into dictionary mode... static testing is only for describing straight unbent and unloaded rods at rest. I can not get around describing static testing as bending the rod. So either the language has changed, or I am just not applying the definition correctly. Can anyone explain it how a flexed or bent rod is static? Otherwise, the only other logical conclusion I can make is that the word is being misused and misapplied to custom rod building. Tell me its just me! lol

I'm going fishing and hope to do some "static testing" on a few rods while this gets hammered out!

Does that mean I am catching fish with bent rod? Or, does that mean static testing a rod means no fish today?

Re: A 'Static' Rod
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 14, 2020 04:42PM

"or forces in equilibrium"

If you apply a given load/force to a rod blank, once the rod blank comes to rest, it is in a "static" condition regardless of the degree of flex. Even though the blank is bent, it is "lacking in movement, action, or change". It is in a state of equilibrium. Make a little more sense now?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.net.kent.edu)
Date: October 14, 2020 04:52PM

Physics: Static Equilibrium occurs when the sum of the forces and the sum of the torques on the system is equal to 0. It does not require an absence of force or torque.

In the case of static testing a fishing rod, a force (load) is applied to the tip of the rod, and the rod will deflect until the elastic restoring force in the rod exactly balances the force applied to the tip. At this point when given time for oscillations to stop, the rod will no longer be moving and is said to be in static equilibrium, just as it was in static equilibrium with no external force or torque applied to the blank.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 14, 2020 04:55PM

Hello Kent.

Look up "Static Stress Distribution Test" in the glossary at the top of the page!

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 14, 2020 05:29PM

If the rod is flexed and held in that flexed position, it is in a static position.

Date: October 14, 2020 08:13PM

Ah OK, I get it now. Even loaded as long as it is at rest loaded it is in a static position or condition. See, I knew it just needed explaining. Thanks! I guess I was getting lost in the flexing and bending.

Oh, and I caught 12 bass tonight. Stumbled into a feeding frenzy of schoolies. One after another on swimbaits. I missed as many as I caught. No static rod today. Thanks again.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2020 11:09PM

Don't make it harder than it should be, just compare to what you know and make it better.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: October 15, 2020 10:18AM

The "static" position chooses ONE bend out of an infinite number of possibilities in any given fight against a fish. Here's a deeper dive into the concept:
[anglersresource.net]

Date: October 15, 2020 10:09PM

Thanks for the info. Good reading.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster