I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dirty question
Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: October 13, 2020 07:19PM

When doing a spiral wrap - where do you make your “dirty” side - normally would be on the bottom of a casting rod, but this is where 2/3 or more or the guides will be, putting the tag ends with the guide, which likely is where folks will focus looking.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dirty question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 13, 2020 07:26PM

Bottom of the rod.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: October 13, 2020 07:46PM

Thanks.... that’s what I assumed buy seemed wrong to put those tags on the guides....

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 13, 2020 10:56PM

Michael,
I agree with the bottom of the rod, with the caveat that dislike putting the tag end on the guide foot itself. So, typically, I will put it on the lower side of the blank where it will mainly be out of sight and out of view.

I have found that if I try to leave the tag end on the guide foot itself, it normally does not end well for the wrap.

Take care

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2020 05:25AM

Doesn't matter, nobody looks. YOu spent 2 days at the ICRBE last year, how many rods did you look at? how many did you look at where te dirty side was for every guide?

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.net.kent.edu)
Date: October 14, 2020 08:55AM

I think the most important part is to be consistent in where you start and stop wraps. If you start and stop every wrap and inlay at a different place, it shows a lack of attention to detail.

I put mine 180? from the guide foot. My line of thought is that when someone is looking at a guide wrap close enough to spot the dirty side with the naked eye, they are usually looking at the guide itself. When holding a spiral wrapped rod while fishing, the first guide that has a dirty side on the top side of the rod is going to be close to 3' or more away from the reel seat. My eye isn't going to be able to resolve a tag end or the cross-over thread on a simple inlay at that distance, and my eye usually isn't on the top of the rod while I'm fishing. Maybe it matters a bit more when working with larger thread than the A that I typically use.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: October 14, 2020 09:07AM

Joe Vanfossen Wrote:
> I put mine 180? from the guide foot.

Same here. And I agree with the comment above "Does't matter, nobody looks."

And even if someone did look, for the way I do it, you will never see it anyway even if you did look you'd need a really good magnifying glass or microscope.

I use a razor blade to cleanly slice it off right at surface of thread wrap. I then use a lighter to melt anything that might be remaining to stick up and push it down with my finger while still hot. Then use a dental pick to shape up any thread deformities or gaps, and push inwards to tighten it all up. So even before the epoxy goes on, there is nothing to see.

I also agree with another comment that if you do it on or, next to the guide foot, you stand a better chance of it coming loose and not holding which is why the opposite side of the rod from the guide foot is the best place no matter which way the guide is placed. Once under epoxy it is a non-issue.

Joe Vanfossen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the most important part is to be
> consistent in where you start and stop wraps. If
> you start and stop every wrap and inlay at a
> different place, it shows a lack of attention to
> detail.

I'll have to disagree with this statement without a clarifying reference.

It can only be an overlooked detail if the end result is visible to judge.

If this detail can not be seen, then it can not be a lack of attention to detail. So maybe this statement needed a clarifying reference to say if it is visible then it is a lack of attention to detail. If it is not visible then this is not the case.

And with spiral wrapped rods, the starting and stopping points follow the guide placements around the rod blank. I can only see your point if all the guides are on the same side of the rod and tag ends are visible... I will stay with doing tag ends on opposite side of rod from the guide no matter where it is placed. On my rods you won't see it so it won't matter anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2020 09:15AM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.net.kent.edu)
Date: October 14, 2020 11:09AM

Kent,

Good stuff. I do much the same with my tags. I'll clarify a bit. I agree, it is tough to spot where the tag end tucks under a wrap, but with close examination it can be found. My tags are well hidden as well. The issue becomes more readily visible when doing inlays and other decorative bits. A lot of times if a rod is going to a family member or friend I'll dress up my wraps a bit with a simple inlays and trim bands. If your main wrap thread is crossing over the inlay thread at different points along the rod, it can be spotted much more easily due to the contrasting colors.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 14, 2020 05:39PM

I save all my stressing out for guide alignment. That's what everybody looks at first and forever. If your work looks neat, who's gonna @#$%&?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2020 11:21PM

There are no dirty sides if you do it right. Just do the tag before you rap over the foot and close to it. If you do it right after it, will want to unravel and not be tight. Messy.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2020 04:41PM

All of this "doing it right" stuff is leaving one factor out of the equation. Thread color. It's a whole lot easier hiding tag ends with darker colored threads. It becomes even more problematic if there are trim bands or inlays involved.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 20, 2020 03:03PM

I watched a guy wrap once who cut his tags off short BEFORE he pulled them out through the wrap. The tag end stayed under the wrap......never came up between threads

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster