I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC X-Ray NEO vs LMX blank?
Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 12, 2020 03:23PM

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to build a bass rod for bigger cranks and light swimbaits (like StrikeKing 6XD or 1.5oz swimbait). Something with mod or mod-fast action i think. Was looking at the NFC sale and wondering if anyone had comments between these two x-ray rods for this application:

MB 765-1(X-Ray NEO) 7’6?
- 12-25lb, 5/8oz-2oz, Mod-fast Action, MedHeavy Power
MB 7109-1(X-Ray LMX)
- 12-30lb, 1/2-2oz Mod-Fast Action, Mag Heavy Power

Is the NEO a fibreglass blend? I don't really see the weights of the blank. Given they are the same price on sale which would you suggest? They seem to have similar specs except for the material used. Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC X-Ray NEO vs LMX blank?
Posted by: Harry Glenn (---)
Date: October 13, 2020 10:29AM

The Neo is a blended blank. They use a unique glass according to some prior info on this blank. My Neo weighs a touch more than 3 oz. I have not completed a build with it yet so I cannot comment on its power relative to other blanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 13, 2020 01:53PM

Darin,
If I needed a punch rod down south in heavy cover, I'd look at a MB7109.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: October 13, 2020 02:43PM

The MB 7109&7108’s are some serious sticks!!!

Date: October 13, 2020 05:46PM

Thanks everyone. Think the 7109 is too stiff for throwing the crank baits? My heaviest rod is MB 705 MH so i guess the 9 rated power looks on paper to be a big jump lol

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: October 13, 2020 09:41PM

I just finished a neo build. In my opinion it’s is nearer a fast action vs the moderate as it’s listed. Seems to have plenty of power and I don’t think a 6xd or a 1.5oz Swimbait would not be any problem. I think up to 3oz should be fine and down to 3/8 seems doable. Just playing with it, seems about average for sensitivity but pretty good for a fibreglass blend. I could see myself throwing heavy chatterbaits, swimbaits, swimjigs, even pitching and frogging. I’ll have to get it out on the water to confirm all this though. I have the 7108 on order so I’ll see how they compare then.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (68.60.96.---)
Date: October 13, 2020 09:52PM

I would say a 6” plastic swimbait on a weighted hook is too heavy for my NEO. A 5” Keitech style on a weighted hook is about perfect. I will need to get a scale out again, but I think the 6” is 2oz without the weighted hook and the 5” with the weighted hooks is about 1.5 oz. Heavy spinnerbaits are good to go. I don’t throw crank baits much, so I don’t know about those. The tip is definitely light enough to go lighter than what I have tried too, but I really like how a 5” keitech feels on it.

EDIT: The 6" swimbait is about 1.3 oz unweighted. I think I had a 1/2 oz weighted hook on it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2020 12:39PM by Dean Veltman.

Posted by: Jason Haney (---.mountainresearch.com)
Date: October 20, 2020 01:12PM

I haven't fished with my NEO a ton, but it handles an 8XD very nicely on 15lb fluoro. I'm sure it'll be fine for a 6XD and I have slung a 6" hollow belly on a 1oz. jig head with it. Loads that swimbait up and launches it.

Date: October 22, 2020 12:12PM

Does sound like the NEO will work fine for what i want to try it on thanks! FYI, my friend wanted to try the 7109 so guess I'll have both to compare in the end. Maybe i can try building a rig to gather some CCS info or something and share

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster