I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power wrapper rec
Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: October 12, 2020 12:45PM

Any recommendations on a power wrapper for a hobby builder? Not planning on any commercial pursuits. Thanks.

Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power wrapper rec
Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: October 12, 2020 01:39PM

I like my Alps power wrapper, everything you need to wrap and finish.

Posted by: Michael Ward (172.58.159.---)
Date: October 12, 2020 05:09PM

2nd the ALPS - you can use it to finish wrap and finish at speed and then put it on slow dry rotation.

The "spring arm" supports (2 of which come with it) can be a little finicky with the blank popping out if you put lateral pressure, but I've found by alternating the direction of the supports (forward / aft) that it helps this.

Posted by: Michael Ward (172.58.159.---)
Date: October 12, 2020 05:09PM

2nd the ALPS - you can use it to finish wrap and finish at speed and then put it on slow dry rotation.

The "spring arm" supports (2 of which come with it) can be a little finicky with the blank popping out if you put lateral pressure, but I've found by alternating the direction of the supports (forward / aft) that it helps this.

Date: October 12, 2020 05:38PM

Dumb question. These power wrappers will work on fly rods? That is mostly what I will be building. Any recs on the best place to buy?

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2020 08:30PM

For anything from Batson, Utmost Enterprises is about the best place to purchase. They offer very fair discounts off of MSRP for retail customers and have top notch service. I believe their page lists the price you pay for the wrappers, so I don't think you get a discount off of that number, but it compares favorably with others on the market.

I use a CRB hand wrapper with the extruded track, but if I wanted to go full power, I would have leaned toward the Alps. That headstock/chuck system is the same one used on miniature metal lathes, and will serve you well.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: October 12, 2020 08:37PM

I have a pac bay wrapper with an Alps chuck upgrade. You want the Alps chuck.

Date: October 12, 2020 09:14PM

There is alps wrapper and the forecast. Both by the same manufacturers. Looks like the big difference is the chuck. Any inputs on the difference? Again not building for commercial use.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 12, 2020 10:59PM

Gary,
[www.facebook.com]

The big difference IS the chuck.

Pay the extra money to get the improved ALPS chuck.

The Chuck is the item that holds your rod for all of its work as well as when drying etc.

The forecast chuck has been around for a long time and is much less expensive than the ALPS chuck, but the difference is more than worth the monetary difference in price between the two chucks.

Over the years, I have build a lot of different power wrappers. But, the real secret to a successful wrapper - with all other things being equal is the chuck. i.e. pay for a quality chuck that works for you 100% of the time with no fussing or diddling with the chuck in the middle of a build. It makes a big mess is you are 1/2 way through a drying cycle and when no one is around the rod falls out of the chuck. NOT fun. Of course you can jury rig work arounds to avoid these issues. But, better to pay the piper up front for the quality chuck from the get go and have 0 issues looking long down the road of ownership.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (64.191.49.---)
Date: October 12, 2020 11:39PM

Thanks guys. Just to confirm, no problem wrapping fly rods on a power wrapper?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 13, 2020 12:01AM

I personally think it's easier to wrap fly rods by hand. You have multiple pieces and the wraps are short. I would not waste the money on a power wrapper if you are mainly making fly rods. Excellent rods can be made without a power wrapper. Make sure this a hobby you will pursue, before making such a large investment. I have been wrapping by hand for over 50 years. I own a high end power wrapper but never use it for wrapping.
Norm

Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (64.191.49.---)
Date: October 13, 2020 12:06AM

Thanks Norm. Can you elaborate on why you think fly rods are better find by hand? What hand wrapper so you use? Thanks.

Gary

Date: October 13, 2020 12:55AM

Most modern fly rods are 2, 3, or 4 pieces, thus the pieces are relatively short and easily manipulated. You can put two pieces together to wrap closely to the ferrule, if needed. All you really need is a thread tension device fixed in front of you and your two hands to hold the blank piece. If you make a mustake, you just backup your chair to unwrap, and continue to wrap. When finished just move the rod piece in you hand and wrap the next guide, no need for you or your thread carrage to move, just the blank piece. If you prefer wrapping left to right or right to left just flip the rod blank around if doing double ft guides. I like wrapping left to right, and because of this I place my trim thread spool to the right of my main wrap spool, which makes it easy for me to add or drop a threads. If you want or need a rod support, you can use any of the commercial hand wrapper supports , or just put a chair next you and use the chair back as the support. Might take a little more manual dexterity, but it comes pretty easily. I started building rods when I did not have a lot of money, so I built on a budget, and over the years I have wrapped thousands of rods, by hand. As I mentioned I have a very nice power wrapper, but I find that it just slows me down, I just can't get use to using it. I might be the exception to the rule, but hand wrapping works for me.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 01:01AM by Norman Miller.

Date: October 13, 2020 12:55AM

Sorry for the double post.
Norm

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 01:01AM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: October 13, 2020 09:38AM

Flex Coat DC777. Flexcoats new machine does anything you want at any speed you want from hand wrapping to 12" base wraps at blazing speed. Friendly.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2020 02:31PM

Gary

Our new DC777 is great for fly rods, whether you are wrapping them by the piece or all together. I have personally sold to 4 fly rod builders in the last month and they are extremely happy. This machine leaves all others behind. Jim Ising knows. I would be glad to talk to you over the phone or email.
512-858-7742
flexcoat@gmail.com

Here are some videos:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 18, 2020 08:07PM

I agree. I’ve wrapped with a few different systems. Now, I ‘d have to be wrapping a lot more rods than I ever will to plunk $400 into a power wrapper and good chuck. Manually turning the rod just isn’t that difficult with a good hand system. This gives a fine level of control and $300 - $350 left over for blanks and components. The Sully is a truly great hand wrapper, but the $50 CRB system works just fine.

Pieroway rods
Posted by: William Giokas (---)
Date: October 23, 2020 08:09AM

Has anyone built this rod. The rods are made offshore but the company is in Alberta , CA. Thanks Bill

Pieroway rods
Posted by: William Giokas (---)
Date: October 23, 2020 08:10AM

Has anyone built this rod. The rods are made offshore but the company is in Alberta , CA. Thanks Bill

Date: October 24, 2020 07:06PM

I ended up with the Alps machine. Honestly, to me even if I hand wrap it's so much nicer than the CRB hand wrapper. All in for under $400. Seems like a small investment for a lifetime machine even if I only build for myself and friends. Thanks for all the recs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster