I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Project for the Winter
Posted by: Mike Gabbay (104.129.194.---)
Date: October 09, 2020 03:08PM

I'm getting ready to build my next fly rod. I'm looking to build something in a 3wt 7'6" - 8'6" range with a medium flex for smaller streams for dry fly and small nymphs. I'm trying to decide between "top of the line" (Sage LL, Winston Pure) or a medium priced blank from CTS (Affinity M), TFO or maybe even NFC. One problem is casting before I purchase. I can probably get my hands on the TFO, Sage or Winston rods to test cast and then buy the blank through that shop. For the CTS and NFC I will have to buy without casting.

Thoughts on "higher end" versus CTS, TFO, NFC?

Recommendations on a 3wt blank to consider?

Thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Project for the Winter
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: October 09, 2020 04:01PM

For "smaller" streams you will not have to cast more than 40'. Any fly rod made, coupled with the right line, is easily capable of casting 40' and then some. And like any baseball can be thrown for a strike any fly rod is accurate. The user, not the tool, does the job. If there is a fly-fishing club near you I would advise you to visit it. Members will gladly let you test-cast their fly rods. Successful fly casting depends upon three things: the user, the line, and the rod - in that order, in my opinion. No amount of ads, touts or testimonials will change that.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: October 09, 2020 04:18PM

Mike: There is no accounting for taste, and every rod maker I am aware of has produced some pretty good fly rod blanks and some real dogs. Even rod banks of the same make and model but for different line weights can vary greatly in performance and "feel". I wouldn't buy a car without driving it. I wouldn't buy a fly rod without test casting it. I belong to a fly fishing club, so test-casting rods AND lines makes choosing rod blanks much easier. I think successful fly casting depends equally upon three things: the caster, the line, and the rod - in that order.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: October 09, 2020 09:01PM

i love the Winston, CTS, NFC, and Epic blanks. I have not been disappointed in the quality of those products. Are you lookin fg for carbon, fiberglass, oer a composite mix of the two?

My Winston is a 7 weight BIIIX, nine footer, a little large for what you want. It behaves very nicely on the water. I also have a CTSD three weight Crystal Glass that performs every bit as nicely as the Winston, and lays down flies like a feather dropping on the water. It is a strong rod though, with great feedback to my hands on the back cast, and when something decides to nibble on my flies, or nymphs. I haven't built on the CTS carbon blanks, but understand from reviews, and from Herb, that they perform even better than the quarts Crystal Glass.I haven't used the Epic rod blanks, but they have a stellar reputation. I'm not really a Sage fan as they tend to be faster actions that don't protect the tippet as well as the Winston, or CTS blanks.

Of course, this is all my own opinion, so take it for what it's worth. As the others have said, the only way you will really know for sure if you like a particular rod is to test drive it. I hope whatever blank yu build on serves you well.

Tight lines and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: October 10, 2020 08:14AM

Mike,
Naturally my recommendation would be for the CTS product.
For your purposes I would opt for either the Glass 7'6", #3 or the Carbon Affinity-MX vs the Affinity-M. The MX is not listed on the CTS website - but is still available.
Email me for more info and my pricing for RB.org Members.
Regards,
Herb
CTS Rep

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.pools.cgn.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 10, 2020 10:59AM

Mike the test drive would be the ultimate decider but I believe that you need to have an idea of the action that you would want, for instance; do you want something fast, something slow or in between. Once you get that figured out you would have a better chance of getting one that you have not tried but based on the manufacture's description of the action. I have not found too many duds in 3wt blanks, but I am sure they are out there.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: October 11, 2020 11:43AM

NFC is a top blanks and they are having an insane sale right now. a 4 weight mod action, normally $163.80. for $57.33. For that price, if I were in the market, I'd be buying NFC right now. There Xroy blanks are also on sale.

Tight :ines and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: October 16, 2020 07:56AM

I agree with Robert on the NFC blank. At that price you can't go wrong. I just finished a 6wt on their classic blank. Best casting rod I own now. I'm replacing my whole arsenal of high end production rods with them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster