I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides
Posted by: mel segal (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: October 05, 2020 07:16PM

I own an Orvis 7’9” far and fine 5 weight fly rod, which I enjoy. As a winters project, I would like to replace the older guides with modern snake brand or recoil guides and perhaps cerecoil strippers. I would hope this would add a slight improvement, and I’m not concerned about re-sale. But I don’t want to mess up the action. Thoughts? Suggestions?... Mel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2020 08:05PM

Action won't change regardless of guides used. Speed might and probably will if the new guides are of a different weight than what you have on there now. Heavier guides will slow the rod, lighter guides will quicken it.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: October 06, 2020 11:28AM

In my opinion, you get several advantages with the newer guides, whether you opt for recoil titanium, Fuji single foot , or Snake brand eco-wire guides, or other quality brands. The guides have less friction, and if sized properly to the line you will be using, produce less wear and tear on your fly line. will shoot a bit further, control, and load the rod better,

Also important to yuur fly fishing experience is using a good fly line. I like SA fly lines, personally. But that's just my preference.

Tight lines, and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 06, 2020 11:39AM

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 12:32PM by Bill Sidney.

Date: October 06, 2020 11:40AM

Mistake .............

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 12:33PM by Bill Sidney.

Date: October 06, 2020 11:40AM

Don't change unless there is a problem that will tear your fly line , on a real fine ROD like that one, you are better off not touching the guides unless they missing or broken , as I see it

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 06, 2020 12:26PM

One of the posts mentioned that different guides have a different rate of friction that allows a greater casting distance when casting.

I have to respectfully disagree that the composition of a guide has very much to do with a greater casting distance or better casting action.

However, I do agree that if one is fighting a very strong fish that makes blinding fast strong runs, then absolutely, the coefficient of friction with respect to the guide ring absolutely makes a difference on line wear and the ability to tame the fish.

The simple reason is this:
When casting the line essentially does not touch the guide except momentarily and under very light pressure.

Contrast this when fighting a big powerful fish that has the rod virtually doubled over with the line screeching all of the guides under maximum friction force against the guide ring.

Absolutely put very good low coefficient of friction guide rings in guides for this type of fishing. But, this does not automatically translate to better or longer casting distance - since the guides for the most part are not really part of the equation - except momentarily.

Best wishes.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: October 06, 2020 04:38PM

I would not bother to change them. I would buy a different blank and make another rod instead. Getting off the old epoxy and thread off the blank is tedious work and you can sometimes not get it all off or can affect the cosmetics of the blank.

Date: October 06, 2020 04:58PM

Unless there is something wrong with the guides you have on there now, you aren't apt to really gain anything by swapping guides. If your current guides are very heavy compared to whatever it is you'd be replacing them with, it's really not a practical endeavor. Reducing guide weight would be the only gain, as your rod would become more responsive. But again, how heavy are the guides you have now against what you'd be replacing them with?

Date: October 06, 2020 05:05PM

The guides on the Orvis rod now are standard chrome snakes in use during the 70’s, 80’s or 90’s. They appear more substantial, a bit larger, and heavier than the guides I currently use to build rods... Mel

Date: October 06, 2020 06:28PM

In that case, you might see a noticeable difference in rod speed if you can shave some weight off.

If you do this, I think the forum members would be interested in hearing how much difference you felt it made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2020 06:29PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.pools.cgn.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 07, 2020 12:05PM

Go with REC TiCr double foot snakes, they are most likely half the weight of the chrome plated guides that are on there and they won't corrode. I like Fuji KW with Ti frames for strippers. Not sure of the weight compared to the Cerecoil guides. Go with whatever is lighter in weight.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 09, 2020 09:47AM

If you use lightweight TiCr snake guides take two or three wraps which encircle each guide foot leg before you pull the end of your wrapping thread under your wraps to secure the thread. If you don't do this the guide foot may compress when struck parallel to the blank, enabling the guide foot to back out from under the windings. I had this happen several years ago, but since I re-wrapped the guides with forhan wraps* on each guide foot the TiCr Lite guides have performed faultlessly. *I think you can look up how to use forhan wraps in the glossary on this site.

Date: October 09, 2020 10:13AM

Thanks for the info on the forhan wrap. I will give it a try... I was thinking of using the snake brand light wire eco snakes, unless someone has some evidence that the recoils are better/lighter. I’ve had good results with both in the past, and haven’t noticed a difference. I prefer the snake brand because they look really cool, and are very easy to work with. Sizes 1, 2, and a 3, and a cerecoil stripper, which I really like...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster