I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6wt guide spacing
Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: October 04, 2020 02:58PM

Another new guy question. Thanks in advance. Building an NFC 6wt. The NFC guide spacing chart online shows 11 guides. I bought a Rec recoil guide set with 10 guides in it. All my other 6wt have 10 guides as well. Am I safe to follow my other 6wt guide spacing or follow the NFC and add in one more guide?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6wt guide spacing
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: October 04, 2020 06:39PM

Have not built on a NFC blank. Nonetheless, you've got to believe the blank manufacturer knows a thing or two about its blanks and its recommendation has to be seriously considered. On the other hand there is not necessarily one and only one guide location layout that will work for the blank and a reduction in the number of guides will result in a modest weight reduction. I'd try it both ways and determine which static loads best and if you can manage it which loads and casts best at about 30".

Date: October 04, 2020 07:03PM

Thanks Donald. I agree but it's odd that I can't find another spacing guide in the 6wt range with that many guides. They also have the tip top at 3.7. A 4 works. I'm new to this but find it hard to believe that this blank requires an extra guide. We are taking about a half in difference at most. But again. I'm new.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2020 10:12PM

You can probably do it with 9 guides plus tiptop. But your spacing will be more critical. As you add more guides, the spacing becomes less critical.

Put 9 plus a tiptop on there and space them carefull (static stress distribution) and see what things look like. Enough is enough. But if you need another guide, or two, modern guides aren't very heavy and there is little penalty to pay.

Date: October 05, 2020 12:57AM

Thanks Tom. I just ran across your article on stress testing on another site. I'm going go ahead and use what I have and follow your instructions. The real motivation here is not wanting to order 1 guide online and waiting a week for it. Lol.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: October 05, 2020 11:09AM

Gary: If you come across any credible evidence that one guide more or less will create a PROVEN distance in the accuracy, distance, or durability of a fly rod please post that source.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: October 05, 2020 11:25AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gary: If you come across any credible evidence
> that one guide more or less will create a PROVEN
> distance in the accuracy, distance, or durability
> of a fly rod please post that source.

Why?

Date: October 05, 2020 12:06PM

I'm pretty sure given my casting ability I won't be able to prove anything. Lol. As a new builder, I'm just trying to figure it all out.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2020 01:08PM

Using too few can result in greater stress on the rod blank as the blank flexes in-between guide pairs. This is why using fewer guides requires more careful guide spacing. But you can probably do this fairly easy with just 9 plus a tiptop. I can't imagine using 11 plus a top.

Date: October 05, 2020 01:17PM

Understood. I'm planning on using 10. That seems to be the standard. I'll static load test it. I feel better after reading on it.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: October 05, 2020 07:12PM

I have used this spacing on a 9 foot and it has worked just fine:

Inches from tip: 4.5; 9.5; 15.25; 21.75; 29; 36.6; 44.75; 54; 64.5; 76 (total of 10)

I used stripping guides in No. 12 and 10.

Pac Bay suggested: 4; 9; 15; 22; 29.5; 37.5; 46.5; 56.5; 67; 78 (total of 10)

In guide sizing, if you believe in tapering, then: 12-10-4-3-3-3-2-2-2-2

I would see no need for 11, just one more guide to wrap.

Date: October 05, 2020 07:48PM

Thanks for the info. I'm done. I put the guides where I thought based off of some charts and similar rods I had. Went out and cast it and static load tested it. Looked good. I think I was over thinking it.

Date: October 05, 2020 07:48PM

Thanks for the info. I'm done. I put the guides where I thought based off of some charts and similar rods I had. Went out and cast it and static load tested it. Looked good. I think I was over thinking it.

Date: October 05, 2020 07:49PM

I'm all honesty, I think it would be hard to mess it up with 10 guides.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 07, 2020 09:42AM

Robert: Physical science has sold me on the idea that minimizing leveraged weight (guides) on a fly rod maximizes the rod's casting performance. For many fly rods one less guide+wrapping will improve how it casts. If you fish exclusively in small waters where a 35' cast is a long one a couple of guides more than is necessary won't degrade the rod's performance enough to be a concern and could please the eye of the beholder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster