I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Post! Need Ideas
Posted by: Clayton Beale (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 02, 2020 11:26PM

Greetings to all. Thanks for allowing me to join. This platform and Youtube have been great. I've saved countless hours by not using trial and error as my teacher.
I have two North Fork Saltwater IM blanks. 7'6" MH. I bought these as part of a deal with a friend. I supply and build the rods, he buys the reels. He gave me $500 budget for the reels.
My son and friend live near Jacksonville, NC so fishing will be Intracoastal Waterway and ocean depending on weather. I'm a freshwater guy so saltwater is new to me.
What should I do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Post! Need Ideas
Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: October 03, 2020 12:19AM

Spinning or Casting? Lots of variables here.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 03, 2020 12:30AM

A rod is a rod, just because the components change a bit doesn't change nothing. You gave us very little to help you with, spinning or casting? Reels used, line, etc. Have faith in yourself and what you learned, it's not as bad as you think.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 03, 2020 01:14AM

Clayton,
Thanks to you as well for joining; we are all here to help if you simply ask. Without any further description of the NFC blanks other than “MH used for inner-coastal waters”, or the size of reel intended, I can only assume they will be casting rods in the <30lb range. If such is the case, consider the tried and true Fuji KW guides, especially in their Corrosion Control finish (CC or BC) with a MG tip top; CCKWAG-12 (or BCKWAG-12) stripper guide, CCKWAG-8 for the next guide followed by CCKWAG-6 out to the top or CCKWAG-8 runners if you prefer larger guide rings with the tip top being the same size as the runners. While this may be considered a conventional approach, it will serve you well and cost considerably less than a guide train comprised of RV guides and the such. While possibly seaming overwhelming for your first builds, since you have two “identical” blanks, you have a perfect scenario to consider spiral-wrapping the guides on one of them for later comparison; do not be daunted by your ability to build such in your first builds; common sense will prevail over lack of experience = just ask.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Clayton Beale (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2020 08:26AM

More information......initially I thought my lack of details would help expand the possibilities here but I'm not surprised. I've already learned building a proper setup IS in the details.
My Blanks are North Fork LMX IM SW765-1, moderate/Med-Heavy....12-25lb-1/2-3oz. Reels are undecided.....I was considering a 5000 series spinning with at least 30lb braid/FG knot to a leader. Fuji CC guides.....I'm fine with Alconite.
I guess for now I'll find a reel and build a general purpose spinner. I like the idea of trying a Spiral on one of the blanks.....that would be interesting

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.pools.cgn.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 03, 2020 09:24AM

Clayton,
Sounds like you should do a spinning rod and a spiral wrap bait-caster. Because of the corrosive nature of saltwater, I would use guides as Mark suggested like the CC coated Fuji frames or titanium (Ti) framed guides. Fuji, REC and Seaguide make some readily available Ti framed guides with the Seaguide being a little less costly, the ring material really is not that important because all the ring material these guides have are very good. The blanks you are using would be great for live / dead bait and large lures. If you are targeting red fish, speckled trout and flounder with smaller artificial lures you may want to consider blanks in the medium light to medium range. For reels I like the Daiwa Saltist series and Shimano Stradic for spinning reels and for baitcasters I like Shimano Calcutta or the TranX. Ther are other brands like Lews that hold up to saltwater but I really don't have experience with them.
Good Luck,
Lance.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 04, 2020 08:35PM

Clayton,
Your announcement of using a spinning reel obviously changes things. The only real issue you will encounter is finding reduction guides tall enough without an excessively large diameter ring to accommodate a large 5000 size reel. I built a surf-spinning rod which also utilizes a 5000 reel and used a Fuji LC-20 stripper (the largest ring they offer) (positioned in reverse) which is relatively high at 45.5mm. While the rod works well, I have always wondered if a size 25, if available, might have made it even better. By the way, the LC was designed for surf spinning rods and the swooping legs of the LC are very unique and sexy = great guide in both performance and appearance. Ultimately, the best Fuji guide choice would probably be a TRVTG- 20 or 25-H but hang onto your hat; Fuji is very proud of their RV series and you might need to take a second out on your house to afford one. While double-foot KWs are always a great choice, a size 30 or bigger ring would be needed to obtain enough height. As for typical, spinning single-foot guides, the KL-H / KB /KT guides are the next choice, and while your 25lb rod(s) may be approaching what some may consider their suggested limit, they may prove to be very good for your application, and reasonably priced as well; certainly not as ultimately tough as the double-foots but certainly lighter.
The last issue for you to consider is if you actually need a 5000 size reel; it might be possible a 4000 or even a 3000 will serve you well; bigger is not always better.
Hopefully respected veterans such as Norman Miller, Jim Ising or others are following this post and will afford their opinions, suggestions and knowledge as well; I am here to learn!
All points addressed, I still contend you have a perfect scenario/situation to build both as bait-casting rods; one conventionally and the other spiral-wrapped to actually experience the profound difference; a spinning rod already has the guides on the bottom (where they perform the best).

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster