I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Collecting vintage manufactured rod wrappers.
Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: September 30, 2020 10:30PM

Just started collecting old manufactured hand wrappers. Thought using a coffee cup an a phone book was slow and challenging. How ever I'm finding some to be rather ingenious. Just looking at the sport from a different angle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Collecting vintage manufactured rod wrappers.
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 01, 2020 12:23AM

Paul, good for you; I suppose nothing compares to appreciating vintage rods as much as using vintage equipment to perform such. An “old-school” wrapper just might produce the same quality rod as a new version. No one can argue a notched cardboard box to support the blank and the thread running through a phone book for tension cannot produce a very fine rod. While there are those who enjoy the aspects of vintage rods, and blanks, such as me, I have to say you are the first I have heard of seeking vintage wrapping equipment. My hat is off to you = go for it! Post some pictures.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2020 10:55PM

I’m going old school next week also. Helping my son with some projects but still want to know out this glass fly rod. I’ve stripped all my tools down to the basics. I’ve broken out an old Thompson/Herters wrapper. I don’t see an issue should be fun.

Date: October 02, 2020 12:08PM

Good upon ya for bringing in a next generation an offering a taste of back in the day. One hint on the Herters , I put a piece of cork tape on the spool carrier back, to smooth out the turning of the thread feed.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2020 01:33PM

Paul. I covered the spool carrier with a thin piece of aluminum sheet stock. Runs smooth. I always wondered why if Herters was “the worlds finest” they left that casting so rough.

Date: October 02, 2020 09:44PM

If you take the long view, putting the design in historical perspective, if its the only horse in the barn, than you ride it. In their defense I will offer. They did make a number of improvements to the hanger arms. Three I'm sure of and perhaps a forth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster