I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod handles
Posted by: Dale Thompson (---)
Date: September 30, 2020 01:19PM

Is there a convention on what type handles to use on fly rods between full wells and half wells? Length? Line weight? Other?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod handles
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 30, 2020 02:15PM

As general practice Half Wells on lighter rods, Full Wells on heavier, that said, it is a personal choice. In my experience, up to 4wt 1/2 wells 5wt either way, 6wt and up Full Wells.
I build only fly rods. On very light and short rods many prefer a Cigar grip.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 30, 2020 04:41PM

This is a topic that receives far to little attention as the grip is the interface between the fisherman and the rod. And somehow rod manufacturers and custom rod builders alike have a 'one-size-fits-all' attitude so long as the grip is a full or reversed half-Wells and the grip length is varied ever so slightly according to rod length.

Every hand is different, sometimes significantly different than the average or median. Fishing venues vary and casting requirements can range from short length, finesse requirement to 70' plus, double hauled cast into the wind. A one size fits all grip rule or convention is not probable to produce optimal results, satisfaction or comfort.

A longish, Ritz grip with a diameter to fit fit a large hand will look really, really odd on a 6' 6" 1 weight. But if that is what is the most comfortable for the fisherman (fisherperson?) to cast well all day then that odd looking grip is what the rod needs.

Unfortunately, and unlike a tailor, we rarely have opportunity to make measurements or to have the rod recipient try multiple grip styles, sizes, etc. About the best we can do is ask if the recipient has a favorite rod, what style grip is on the rod, and what rod recipient likes and dislikes about the grip.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2020 05:41PM

In addition to the Ritz, another popular and highly functional grip was known for years as the Fenwick grip. Sometimes also called a Western grip, it is pretty much a true half wells so just picture the opposite of the well known reverse half wells.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 30, 2020 05:51PM

Not all custom rod builders have a "one size fits all!" I often measure my clients hand to size the grip appropriately. I also make some over size diameter for clients with Arthritis.

I don't know how rod manufacturers or retailers could inventory multiple grips options on rods. The costs of carrying the inventory would drive prices.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 30, 2020 06:29PM

You're spot on correct, Phil. The inventory costs would be prohibitive.

Another way to get an idea of hand size, especially if the rod is to be a surprise gift, is ask if the gift giver knows or can get the recipient's glove size.

True story: Had occasion to accompany the wife to a well known outfitter's retail store. While the wife shopped, I drifted back to the fly fishing area and took one of the new, top of the line rods off the rack. It was a beautiful rod with a great quality cork grip whose diameter was simply too small. The rod goes out the door with tax dangerously close to four figures. We later went down the street to a big box outfitter, I again wander into the fly fishing area and found a house brand rod for less than $100 and (ready for this?) the same size cork grip.

The point is those building fly rods for sale and do what Phil E describes above ought to enjoy a competitive advantage. It's not unlike being able to buy a tailored suit for a price at or maybe below retail.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 01, 2020 11:41AM

A bit like the size of your hand influences the size gloves you need, the size of your hand could influence your choice of a fly rod grip. However, if you don't anticipate fighting fish over five pounds for over five minutes and you don't cast over forty feet the appearance of the grip is as good as any reason and probably the most popular reason for choice of grip. For larger "weight" rods where double-hauls are the norm and bigger fish and sometimes long and tiring fights are anticipated I believe most experienced fly-rod anglers prefer a full wells grip.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 01, 2020 12:32PM

There is, in fact, a correct size for any hand size and we covered this in the RodMaker series on Ergonomics a few years back. Based on the bio-mechanics and ergonomics study launched by the U.S. Air Force in the late 1940's, there is a correct size and shape for hand size and specific task which offers the most control and efficiency for the least amount of hand pressure and physical effort. Sadly, most rod grips, fly and otherwise, are not very good in terms of correct ergonomics. They are usually sized and shaped primarily for aesthetics.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 01, 2020 03:30PM

Hello Tom.

It was a series of 4 Pt.1: Volume-19, Issue-4, page-24 / Pt.2: Vol-19, Issue-5, Page-24 / Pt.3: Vol-19, Issue-6, Page-22 / Pt.4: Vol-20, Issue-1, Page-14.

There were 3 other articles on ergonomics.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster