I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painters tape
Posted by: John Duncan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2020 12:46PM

Will painters tape give me a straight clean edge on my epoxy applications

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painters tape
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: September 29, 2020 01:05PM

I doubt it. Sometimes tape will cause epoxy creep, and could give you a hard edge where it does not creep under the tape.

A controlled application by rotation might be your cleanest looking option even if it is not a perfectly straight edge.

I doubt you would like the hard edge results tape can create.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2020 03:38PM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2020 01:45PM

Some do use it. The finish edge depends upon the timing of when you remove the tape. Too early can be a mess if not very very careful, too late and you get a hard ridge edge. Experimenting will help you decide.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 29, 2020 01:46PM

A straight edge is easy to get, no tape needed. You need a "steady rest" for your hand. A block of wood, etc. Load the brush with epoxy, lower the brush until the finish itself just touches the rod/wrap, Now rotate the rod underneath 360 degrees. That's all you have to do.

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: September 29, 2020 02:06PM

What Tom said, I tried the tape and it sucked, Now I just hold the brush still about 1/8 past the the threads and let the finish do the work, comes out great.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 29, 2020 04:28PM

John,
Be careful! Some tapes can “bleed” contamination onto/into your epoxy finish as was discovered during discussion in a post on this site. Some blue painter’s tape caused a reaction like silicone contamination. Save yourself any agony and test, test, test.
The best is to not use tape. As many have remarked a brushed edge is the quickest method and leaves a nice contoured edge. If you do use tape, do not load-up the epoxy and then pull the tape as soon as possible to avoid any edge; a heavy application of epoxy will creep after the tape is removed. The only time I use tape (3M vinyl “fine line”) is for my logo/info area of the blank. The thread borders on either side of the decals have a minimal amount of epoxy on them while the epoxy directly over the decals is 3-5 layers/coats thick; the only way I can avoid getting epoxy on the thread borders is to use tape but, again, the epoxy is not built-up on the ends and the tape is removed as soon as possible.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John Duncan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2020 06:10PM

Thanks everyone
I really appreciate the help
I’ll stay away from the tape and secure a hand rest
John d

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 29, 2020 07:23PM

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 29, 2020 09:45PM

Thanks Lynn, that is the post I was referring to. You’re the best.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 29, 2020 11:02PM

John,
One of your best friends when applying finish is SPEED.

i.e. if you use a power wrapper that spins at 20-70 rpm when applying finish will essentially insure that you are laying down a straight line. The speed of the turning rod is such that it essentially insures that your hand does not have time to move as the rod spins around in front of your application of rod finish.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.152.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 30, 2020 09:49AM

I have used tape with success. But I have used tape with bleed. I tested several on a scrap blank and kept the one that worked. My hands shake too much anymore to use some of the methods above. But beware, if you use tape, you run the risk of bleed.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: September 30, 2020 11:29AM

And if using a power wrapper, make certain that the blank is turning "true." If it is off-center it's almost impossible to get a straight edge as the blank bobs up and down. Just use paper shims, etc. between the chuck jaws and grip to make the blank run true.

Posted by: Timothy Fisher (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2020 03:21PM

Frog Tape multi-surface doesn't let anything bleed. I use it to restore lapidary machines especially where epoxy and epoxy paint is involved.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 30, 2020 07:44PM

Mark T, stop it, you're making me blush. Lol Tim F. thanks for the info!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster