I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Colored casting guides
Posted by: David Luttig (---)
Date: September 29, 2020 11:04AM

Looking at mudhole’s colored casting guides in red. Anyone have any experience with these? Any good or should I stay away from them? Fresh water bass fishing.

Colored Casting Guides for Freshwater Casting Rods
SKU: #GNRC-6

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Colored casting guides
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2020 11:26AM

There's nothing wrong with them. You really can't go wrong with a PVD coated zirconium insert, and if the source of the guides is who I think it is, they are a very fine guide. The only issue I have with that line of guides is that there is not a matching single foot fly guide to use for running guides. You are limited to using all double foot casting guides or v frame spinning guides for the single foot guides, which puts the guides too far away from the blank for my taste on a casting rod.

Date: September 29, 2020 11:40AM

Thanks for the reply and input.

Date: September 29, 2020 12:14PM

Is a 10, 8, 6 guide size to big for a 6’6” casting rod. Seems like a 8,6,5 would be better?

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2020 03:03PM

Casting guide trains are typically not too terribly complicated. Determining the largest guide typically involves the reel you are using. With larger round reels, particularly those with wide spools, a larger butt guide can keep the line from staking on one side of the spool or the other. Additionally, those bigger reels tend to be taller and a taller guide may be useful here. A 10-12mm double foot guide can be in order at times. With a low profile reel, the spool is narrower and smaller. Anywhere from a 4-10mm can work surprisingly well. If you are employing techniques like flipping where you need to reach out and grab the line, a butt guide with a higher frame can make it easier to get the line if you have large fingers. Generally in bass fishing we aren't handling the rod by the fore grip, so we don't need to worry about keeping the line off of our hand, which is another application where taller guides are in order.

The next step is to determine what you want for the smallest guides. If you are not passing large knots and want to take advantage of the weight reduction of micro guides, 3-4mm single foot guides are an excellent option for the smallest guides. If you need to pass knots through the guides or prefer larger guides 5-6mm single foot guides for the smallest work well. My preferences these days are 4mm for micro builds and 5mm for more conventional builds. The 5mm guides are large enough to pass most leader connections easily, and dropping below 4mm doesn't provide as much benefit unless it's a particularly light powered rod.

When building with micro guides and a low profile reel, I'll typically use a 6mm double foot followed by 4mm single foots to the the tip.

When building with a more traditional look, I'll use an 8mm double foot, maybe a 6mm double foot and then 5mm to the tip, but 8mm double foot and 5mm single foots will work equally well. The extra double foot if more for aesthetics in those cases.

For something with a round reel, a 10mm double foot, 6mm double foot and 4mm or 5mm single foots to the tip can work well.

Both of those options will look perfectly at home on a 6'6" rod with a low profile reel.

With that said, you can step further out of the box, and use all single foot micro guides to the tip. It generally means that you will be putting the butt guide a couple inches further up the blank, but given that your line already has to pass through a level wind that is 3-4mm wide, you know it will make it just fine. Now, I haven't pulled out my old Millionaire or Garcia reels to see how they perform with an all micro build, but I suspect they would fair better than you might naively think.

Casting guide trains are pretty forgiving. You have options, and what you go with will depend on how far from conventional you are willing to push things. Most of my factory rods from the late 90s and earlier started with at least a 12mm butt guide. When you compare those rods to what is available now and what we can do as builders, it's significantly different.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: September 29, 2020 10:21PM

I have used those colored guides in green and I like them just fine!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 29, 2020 11:27PM

I have a rod out there with green guides, maybe 10 years old, looked fine a month ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster