I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Geeks Odd Shipping Technique
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2020 04:59AM

Got my first rod geeks blank today. Rather impressed about a perfect match to a older St croix I am trying to duplicate. Was ready to go nuts when it arrived. I have had a history recently of orders of all types being screwed up. Thought today it happened again. Blank shows up in a cardboard tube. Nothing unusual about that. Except one thing tube is nearly 7 foot long. Ok six foot six blank..... two piece blank. Figured I would be heading to the post office. Opened it up fully expecting a one piece version of the blank I ordered. Nope it was my two piece blank assembled. What were they thinking they had to probably nearly double their shipping cost. Don't get surprised by too many things these days but this sure did.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Geeks Odd Shipping Technique
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 29, 2020 08:04AM

Maybe they ran out of the shorter tubes, still wanted to get your order to you. RodGeeks has a very strong culture trying to please the customer.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: September 29, 2020 08:21AM

Rod Geeks is great!!! Strong carboard tubes and always well packed.

Thanks,
DG

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 29, 2020 10:46AM

Michael,
Rod Geeks need to have a 12 or 14 inch chop saw in their shipping department.

I use my saw with a 14 inch abrasive cut off wheel on it, and cut the tubes to a length that is about 3 inches longer than the blank and the shipment is ready to go.

I also pack all of my rods in a plastic sleeve that I seal with a thermo seal press to keep the blank and or rod looking like new.

A 14 inch chop saw will chop a 4 inch tube in one quick pass - no issue.

[www.menards.com]

One wheel will chop hundreds of cardboard or pvc tubes with no issue.

By the way, as long as the shipper does not encounter a balloon charge, there is normally very little difference in shipping a 4 foot tube or a 7 foot tube.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 29, 2020 02:27PM

Michael, if the tube got crushed, you had a 50/50 chance that your rod wasn,t in that part of the tube..lol..

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 29, 2020 07:33PM

Funnier still, I got a 4 pc 5'6" ul blank from them that came disassembled in a short tube and shipping charge was the same as a 7ft. 1 pc. would have been.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster