I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Hitena vs Gen 4 potlife
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2020 07:32PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keep in mind when recommending the use of CP, it
> greatly changes the appearance of nylon thread!
> Many of us do not want the look that CP creates o
> our wraps.

Actually it's the opposite - if you use CP the thread color will stay fairly close to as it appears on the spool. If you do not use CP, the thread will turn somewhat transparent when you apply finish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2020 01:31AM

Tom, of course you are correct. I mss stated my point, and that is that many rod builders (especially fly rods) prefer less colorful wraps and like the transparency of no CP.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 29, 2020 10:22AM

Besides transparency, not using CP also causes the finish to darken the wrap. I rarely use CP, I just personally like the darker and more transparent look. Another thing that makes a custom rod custom.
Norm

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 29, 2020 11:02AM

i just don,t think a peformance oriented fly fisher wants the extra weight of epoxy saturated double footed guide wraps..a one part thread finish would appeal to them...the thread need not be colorful..when it comes time to renew the wire guides, guide removal and cleanup is a snap if Aqua Gloss was the wrap finish..AG is a thread finish not a CP but it has CP qualities if you care to use them, but it,s mainly a one part glossy finish..

Date: September 29, 2020 05:29PM

Ben, I build only fly rods and have for many years, today's customers almost never want double footed guides, with the exception of some Spey.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 29, 2020 06:01PM

The weight of epoxy finish on a typical fly rod will be less than one gram, that’s less than a CC of finish. Not sure how much a few coats of CP weigh, but again not very much. Permagloss and other moisture catalyzed polyurethanes have also been used for wraps, since they give a very light weight finish. I have no problems with using epoxy finishes on any type of rod.
Norm

Date: September 29, 2020 07:54PM

but that,s a highly leveraged one gram..lol.

Date: September 29, 2020 10:56PM

Keep in mind that the 1 gam is distributed over all the guides, with diminishing weight as it progresses toward the tip due to size of blank diameter.

Date: September 30, 2020 10:07AM

you can feel the differece..it changes the rods frequency, depending on how much you put on..Phil, remember the number of guides increases towards the tip..

Date: September 30, 2020 11:25AM

Norm, have you seen the cover of the new Rod Maker..are your wraps that fat..it looks like one gram of epoxy on each guide..lol..i shoud not laugh..if i built to sell, i would do everything i could to make the wraps twice as fat..fat sells..the irony is that those wraps have been CP coated..lol..i,m just surprised to see a rod like that on this magazine..it,s almost like an endorsement..i know Tom doesn,t build like that..bling wins again..lol.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 30, 2020 08:24PM

Ben, those wraps are too fat for me. But the rest of the artistry on that rod is far beyond my skill. I build for function.

Date: September 30, 2020 08:53PM

I agree Lynn, but if a big ol' bass was held up next to that rod, that would be all the bling i would need to see..lol.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster