I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning winding checks out of hard plastics/acrylic
Posted by: Bud White (---)
Date: September 27, 2020 05:56PM

For those that turn their own winding checks, particularly with hard plastics materials like acrylic. What method do you use to put it on the lathe? On a mandrel or hold the a piece in a chuck with a small amount of material outside the chuck? I have tried both ways and can't seem to get good results. With a mandrel, I have not been able to secure the piece using the piece of tape trick. I've tried electrical tape, Teflon, masking, etc. Even if I can get it secured, If I need to remove it to check against the reel seat after initial turning, I can't get it centered again when returning to the mandrel. Hope that makes sense. Plus, how do you finish the check face right down to the mandrel surface without your carbide tool hitting the steel mandrel? I have a talon four jaw spigot chuck and tried making a tang to hold in the chuck and turning the check on the material outside the chuck. Similar issue. I take it out to check against my reel seat. When chucking back up, I can't get it centered again. To be very specific, I'm currently trying to make a check or end piece for a size 20 NPS seat out of Delrin. This piece would fit on the non threaded end since I mount my spinning seats up locking. Trying to make something similar to the black fuji plastic checks you can purchase for size 16 and 17 seats. I hope my description describes my issue well enough. Thanks for any suggestions anyone may be able to offer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning winding checks out of hard plastics/acrylic
Posted by: Thomas Bell (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2020 07:02PM

Bud,
I turn winding checks all the time using acrylic pen blanks. I always buy the blanks that are round and have a diameter of 22mm and length of 5 inches.. (These are difficult to find sometimes as most are 3/4 in).
To turn the piece you're describing I chuck the blank in a 4 jaw barracuda chuck, center as best as I can (usually have to round it out a little), drill blank diameter hole with bit in jacobs chuck in tailstock. Turn to to the desired shape with the front end of the piece on the right. I then turn the left side of the piece to form a collar that fits into the reel seat. Sand to a glass finish (not the collar), and use a parting tool to turn off the piece.
I never take the piece out of the chuck until finished (or screwed up) as I can never re-chuck without having to round it out again.
I actually turn the butt cap first, the winding check(s) next, and then the the piece described above (there's a name for this piece but I cannot remember).
Hope this helps!

TJB

Re: Turning winding checks out of hard plastics/acrylic
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 27, 2020 11:47PM

Bud,
I consider and agree the most important part of Thomas’s reply to be, “I never take the piece out of the chuck until finished (or screwed up) as I can never re-chuck without having to round it out again”. One additional thing that I always do is mark the position of the piece relative to the #1 jaw of the lathe; at least you have a prayer of relocating center to the lathe if the piece needs to be removed and rechucked.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster