I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for Blank for Walleye Bottom Bouncer
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: September 18, 2020 06:46PM

I am looking for recommendations for a blank for a rod to be used for back-trolling bottom bouncers for walleyes in Canadian shield lakes. I will be using a baitcasting reel; 1oz to 2oz bottom bouncers; 10-12lb braid. This rod will not be used for casting, but for trolling only, in 6 to 25 feet of water. I will never be putting this rod in a rod-holder, I will be holding it in my hand. My research says to prefer a 7' moderate action, medium heavy power blank.

I have searched here and read all of the posts containing "bottom bouncer" but most if not all of those posts give confusing advice because they intermix advice related to trolling with rods in a rod-holder as opposed to holding the rod in the hand.

Once I have the blank picked out, I will post again for guide layout and reel suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for Blank for Walleye Bottom Bouncer
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 18, 2020 07:19PM

[www.schneidersrods.com] 4th category down the page , RX-8 Walleye blanks

Date: September 18, 2020 07:23PM

Lynn, Thanks. I saw those, they are moderate fast- not sure that makes a big difference, but still looking for other options to see what's out there.

Posted by: Doug Scott (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2020 08:36PM

Try CRB freshwater blanks from Mudhole. 7ft medium. I use 30 lb braid on a Quantum baitcast reel with a flipping switch. The braid gives you sensitivity and the moderate action helps with hookups. Plus you don't have to spend a fortune. It works for me on Wisconsin waters.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: September 19, 2020 01:54PM

As you are not casting, I think I would personally look at fiberglass blanks for thier toughness. You can now get glass blanks that are medium fast, where they all used to be noodles. They are a touch heavier than graphite blanks, but aren't as likely to snap if the bottom bouncer happens to snag on a rock, or other underwater objects. But then again, if the line weight doesn't exceed the rod power, you will be ok with carbon as well, as the line will snap before the rod does.

Great options for glass are CTS (high end), Echo (low end), CRB Gator blanks, Lamiglass, and others. RodGeeks (Batson) has fiberglass trolling blanks for up to 20# lines that are a great value as well. So, you have options.

CTS is regarded as top of the line for fiberglass. Herb Ladenheim can give you better info on both the fiberglass, and carbon blanks that would suit your needs Offred by CTS. As for whether you want a casting reel, or spinning reel, I don't really think it matters. And I'd still go with a good casting guide setup so that you can get a fir amount of line off of the reel, and into the water. And if you chold need to, then the rod could be multi-purpose, but primarily used for trolling.

Tight Lines and frisky fish

RJF

Date: September 19, 2020 07:11PM

Well, I have found these blanks:

Rainshadow XCW70MHM (apparently these are MF)
Rainshadow RDR70MM
Rodgeeks SG70MHM
Rodgeeks SGTR70MM
Rodgeeks XComp730 (this is MF blank but could be cut down to 7' - 6'9" to make it more moderate?)
North Fork Composites Hybrid CB705 Zentron Delta

Robert, I wasn't sure which CTS blanks you were referring to. Anyone have any experience with any of these blanks?

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: September 20, 2020 01:01AM

CTS blank that might suit your needs. It is certainty strong enough - [ctsfishing.com]

Tight lines and frisky fish

RJF

Date: September 20, 2020 10:10AM

Thanks Robert, that Game Master looks too heavy duty, but the SlipStream Quartz seems more sized for what I am looking for. However, I was using a St. Croix SCV blank that I built for this purpose and broke the tip on the first day...Hence my search for the composite blend that will not only better match the preferred action, but also maybe a little more durable in the boat. But that history also makes me hesitant to pay for a CTS blank for this purpose...

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2020 12:57PM

Bob,

Based on the specs and types of rods you are looking at, I would consider the 1/4-3/4oz popping blanks for a graphite option and for a glass option, the Seeker S-glass BS706 or Lamiglas MB 84 1E. The popping blanks tend to have moderate fast actions, but aren't as powerful in the butt making them pretty popular for crank baits.

I don't troll often, but when I do, it's with either the Seeker mentioned above or the predecessor to the Lamiglas blank mentioned above, and with the rod in hand as opposed to a holder. They'll do just fine dropping the weights you are looking at, as well as casting and flat line trolling with crank baits up to an ounce or so in weight.

As a guy that fishes in a 14' boat without a rod locker, my rods tend to have to perform multiple jobs well, and those glass cranking baits are versatile enough to replace two graphite cranking blanks. They have limber enough tips for casting smaller cranks, and progressively load and have enough power in the butt for the larger bass cranks as well.

Posted by: Matt Lefebre (---)
Date: September 21, 2020 09:29AM

Bob,

I’m a walleye guy and bottom bouncing is my go to technique for them. Like you, I always have the rod in my hand. I have built a few on the Rainshadow immortal popping blank. IMMP76M. I prefer myself a 7-6” rod. This is a mod fast but I find the action to be perfect for this. They also have the in 7 foot too as well as med heavy. My personal rod is bait casting with a spiral wrap. I will tell you the sensitivity on this rod is insane!

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 22, 2020 07:00PM

Matt, what range of weights does that blank handle for bottom bouncing? I have been eyeing those blanks for that exact purpose but can't decide between the M or MH...

Thanks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 23, 2020 09:33AM

Jordan,
The answer is straight forward:

You need both the Medium and the Medium Heavy rod in your boat.

The Medium for lighter bouncers, and the Medium Heavy for heavier bouncers.

I am not being flip, it is just a necessity. Match the rod to the load and you will be good to go.

Take care

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.20.208.162.pnnl.gov)
Date: September 23, 2020 03:02PM

Thanks Roger.

I'll forward your message to my wife next time she asks why we need so many rods! Maybe your words will hold more water than mine...

By the way, I finished that immortal jigging rod and have managed to catch a few fish with it too. It was exactly what I was looking for: light in the hand, perfect power for 1/2 oz jigs, and extremely sensitive. It is a fun rod to fish. I appreciate your and everyone else's advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2020 03:06PM by Jordan Smith.

Posted by: Matt Lefebre (---)
Date: September 26, 2020 09:06AM

Jordan,

I mainly use 1 to 1.5 ounce bouncers on it. Sometimes I go to and it handles it pretty good. I would think anything over 2 oz I would go MH

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 26, 2020 11:59PM

Perfect. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster