I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using 2 part Klass Kote urethane to coat a blank
Posted by: Timothy Fisher (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2020 01:30PM

Forgive me if I'm being dense here but I can't find any posts specifically relating to using the Klass Kote 2 part urethane to coat a blank. Does the procedure for Flex Coat here apply? [www.rodbuilding.org] I've never heard of using a coffee filter before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 01:31PM by Timothy Fisher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using 2 part Klass Kote urethane to coat a blank
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 15, 2020 04:09PM

From what I understand Klass Kote is similar to, or the same as, the old Clemens Crystal Coat. Although I have not used Klass Kote, I have clear coated blanks with Clemens Crystal Coat by wiping it on to a blank to give a very thin coat. You can wipe it on by using a cosmetic sponge, or cheese cloth , or a coffee filter, they are all lint free and work well. The process is very similar to that used for wiping on Permagloss. The Clemens Crystal Coat was a solvent based epoxy and thus was unlike most of the finish epoxies presently on the market. Being solvent based allows for it to be used as a clear coat. Some people even applied it via air brushing, rather than wiping it on. However, Permagloss is actually clearer and will also never yellow.

Date: September 15, 2020 04:23PM

Cool I just did it and I forgot that the drying time for the stuff was 0 minutes lol. I'll probably do another coat just to be sure. It's not like you can see it has little waves in it from more than 2 feet away :) Looks 10x better than the 800 grit sanded blank! Do you think it would be acceptable for sealing wraps? Again I'm not looking for something that looks like it's covered in morning dew finish, just enough to seal the threads. Maybe 2 or 3 coats? I'm using colorfast thread so I assume nothing else needs to be applied.

Date: September 15, 2020 04:35PM

The Clemens Crystal Coat was sold and used as a wrap finish, so I see no problem using the Klass Kote as a wrap finish. Should work just fine. As a note, when I used to use Crystal Coat, I would put the leftover mix in the freezer and used it the next day for the second coat.
Norm

Posted by: Bryan Burbank (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: September 15, 2020 04:48PM

I would use a thread wrap finish specific to rod building...Flexcoat, ProKote or Permagloss....I'm sure the Klass Kote is good for the rod finish...These products can be purchased from the sponsors listed on the left...

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 15, 2020 06:47PM

I believe the two part products are epoxy, Klass Kote, used to be a sponsor here some years ago. It's a thin product as wrap finishes go, takes multiple coats. Looks good when your done. They have many options on their site.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 15, 2020 06:55PM

Klass-Kote contains a solvent, which is unusual for most epoxies. It is indeed what Clemens used to repackage as their Crystal Coat. It can be used to coat blanks, or thread wraps with a few coats. It's a different animal than what most are used to, but many swear by it.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 15, 2020 07:30PM

Blanks coated with this product may develop a milky appearance if left out in rainy weather for a few days. It goes away when rods dry thoroughly. This is not a problem with Permagloss or C P X tra. Moisture curing urethanes are the way to go. When I used it as a wrap finish ( as Norm said) it needs to turn longer than typical epoxies. I might add that way back when I coated blanks using this product we were advised to simply dip our fingers into the finish and apply as thin a coat as possible to the blank. I'm very sure the sponge, or filter method would provide a better coating. Better, but still not urethane.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 08:12PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: September 17, 2020 05:10PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Clemens Crystal Coat was sold and used as a
> wrap finish, so I see no problem using the Klass
> Kote as a wrap finish. Should work just fine. As a
> note, when I used to use Crystal Coat, I would put
> the leftover mix in the freezer and used it the
> next day for the second coat.
> Norm

I have Flex Coat so I'll stick with that. Pretty sure it will be easier to work with in the end.

Date: September 17, 2020 05:20PM

If you have the flex coat and like it, then for sure use it.
Norm

Date: September 17, 2020 05:48PM

Sorry but every time I try to quote someone it says there's a word that I can't use. So, maybe I have a different product. From the can: KLASS KOTE "superior quality" urethane system PART-A Component Urethane clear. Use only with urethane catalyst". I searched for it and it seems to be popular among the car restoration crowd I suppose as a clear coat over the paint. Anyway I like the results and I'm doing it on the new build right now (a Pac Bay Tradition II 9' 5wt. fly). For better or for worse. PS it melts plastic but doesn't stick to it. It dissolved the mixing cup and spread out all over a PVC protector on the table top. But it didn't stick to it at all so I just peeled off the puddle :D

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 17, 2020 06:58PM

That’s because of the solvent in it. Mix it in an aluminum or glass mixing container. Some plastic containers will work but probably not worth the trouble to figure out which ones will. Aluminum or glass will work with everything.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster