I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need tips to build 1st Payne 98 bamboo fly rod
Posted by: Sam Slack (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 15, 2020 11:10AM

I've just bought my first bamboo blank, a Payne 98, 7', 4/5 wt. Any tips on building this rod would be appreciated.
Since this is a new blank, does it still need decorative wraps as old bamboo rods all had? What is best guide spacing/ sizes
for this rod? And is linseed oil a good finish for this rod? And is Flexcoat Light ok for finish for all guide wraps?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 03:04PM by Sam Slack.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need tips to build 1st Payne 98 bamboo fly rod
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: September 15, 2020 04:13PM

It does not need decorative wrap to function. If it makes you feel good do it. There is a lot of nice thread work out there enjoy the effort and enjoy the results.

The preferred finish for a bamboo rod is spar varnish.

I can not offer any advice for guide spacing, I am sure others will chime in.

Have fun

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 16, 2020 10:51AM

Like any other rod, the more decoration and leveraged weight is added to a bamboo blank the more poorly it performs - but the better it looks. Only you can make this decision. Is the Payne 98 a Tonkin cane blank?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2020 10:51AM

PermaGloss was originally developed as a blank and thread wrap coating for bamboo rods. Similar look to varnish, but will last nearly forever and never yellow.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 16, 2020 12:23PM

The bamboo blanks I have used are already finished, so you probably don’t need to finish it. If it’s not finished, I agree with Tom on using Permagloss, which can be easily wiped on to give a very thin and durable finish. Space the guides as you would do for any other fly rod. Most bamboo fly rods I have seen were quite plain without decorative wraps, and the guides were wrapped with a trim band at the very most. A lite epoxy finish will work fine for the guide wraps. However, it is your rod so do it the way you like it. If you are using German silver ferrules you may need to lap the male ferrule to get a good fit. These ferrules are machined and the male ferrule is usually oversized and require lapping to get the fit you like. Do an internet search to find out how to lap a ferrule. Bamboo fly rods are a lot of fun to fish. Good luck.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2020 01:30PM

I'd coat the guide wraps with PermaGloss - that's what it was made for.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: September 16, 2020 08:54PM

There are bamboo rods that cost over $2,000 to purchase, finished. s this rod meant to be a fun rod to throw dry flies, or a custom rod to fish, and really show off. I notice that a good many bamboo rods sport agate-insert guides, and premium reel seats. The cork handles are usually immaculate as well. You can get reel seats anywhere from about $30 for a nice one, to $600 for a scrimshawed elk horn reel seat. Nickle silver is used a lot as well.

Do a bit of research online and you can find the components you want, at a price point you can live with. I won't build a bamboo rod as I couldn't afford to make it as nice as I'd want it. I sincerely hope that this build comes out perfect for you.

Tight lines and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Sam Slack (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 16, 2020 09:26PM

Robert: I want to make it nice but for fishing. I make my own grips but bought the reel seat....burled wood, downlocking NS band, Using Pac Bay light wire chrome plated guides and agate stripper guide. ns plated.
But were there ever suggested guide spacing for the Payne 97 taper? Or does it depend upon the builder?

Thanks to everyone giving me some guidance here. Sam S

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 16, 2020 11:03PM

I would assume that the spacing is builder determined. However, you could do an internet search for ‘Payne 98 guides and spacing’, and probably get a starting point.
Norm

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: September 17, 2020 12:20PM

I believe stress testing the blank under load will give you what you want in guide spacing. Here's a site that has info on the bamboo blank, but I'm not seeing actual guide spaciong. I might be misreading iy. [www.hexrod.net]

This URL focuses in specifically on the Payne 98 1 piece 4 weight - [www.hexrod.net]

I think [carlinbamboo.com] site will be the most helpful to you -

Tight lines and frisky fish

RJF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster