I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Caster or spinner rod for skipping
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 13, 2020 08:45PM

i have read on this site about using casting outfits for skipping baits but why, is it more productive than a spinning outfit and is the rod any different than one used by spin fishers to skip..i would think it is easier with a spinning rod..any thoughts..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Caster or spinner rod for skipping
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 13, 2020 09:37PM

It can be easier to skip with spinning gear (especially with lighter baits)
But with bait casting gear, I can more accurately put the bait exactly where I want it.

I think part of that may because I can more precisely control the exact moment of line release on a bait caster with the thumb. then I can a spinning rod with the fore finger.
and is diffidently easier to feather the line to slow or stop forward momentum of the bait so it lands exactly were intended.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 13, 2020 09:50PM

I get professional overruns everytime I skip with a casting rod, it's inevitable.

Date: September 13, 2020 10:18PM

it sounds like spinning is better for skipping worms and casting works best for skipping jigs and i guess dressed with some kind of plastic..does that sound about right..how long a rod works best and is their a best action..i guess spinning is different from casting..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 14, 2020 01:26PM

Long rods can get in the way of getting a good swing and skip, you can't hit the water, or boat. Only you know your circumstances, I personally use a 6 ft rod I built rated 6 to 17 lb. line, light enough tip to cast anything I use and more than enough power to boat a 25 lb. chinook salmon I bycaught trolling a bottom bouncer/worm rig trolling for walleye. I'm sure it could have skipped reasonable sized jigs within it's lure range no problem.

Date: September 14, 2020 05:36PM

Steve thanks and Spencer thanks..

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: September 14, 2020 06:02PM

Skipping is definitely easier with a spinning rod, but as Steve said, and it's true for me as well, I have much better distance control with a bait casting reel, than I do with a spinning reel. My main reason for learning to skip with a bait casting set up is because of the advantage that bait casting gear has over spinning gear when it comes to landing fish. A bait casting reel is a winch, a spinning reel is not.

And yeah I know ..... big fish are landed on spinning gear all the time. But it's a lot easier with a bait casting reel. Also for me .... I don't really like braided line, and I especially don't like it on spinning gear, so bait casting gear allows me to use heavier line

Oh and I don't use baits like worms for skipping. I use more compact baits like tubes and the skirted jig and trailer that you mentioned earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2020 06:03PM by David Baylor.

Date: September 14, 2020 07:17PM

thanks David, good stuff..

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: September 15, 2020 12:49PM

Spencer, the best method I have found for skipping with a baitcaster is to remove about 1/3 of your spool of line. Since you are not bomb casting the reduced spool capacity will be of no ill affect.

I have found this method to be especially useful on every major brand of baitcaster out there for bass fishing.

Tom

Date: September 15, 2020 01:23PM

another great tip..Thanks Thomas..

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 15, 2020 04:58PM

I figure skipping relies upon three things: the angle of attack, the area of the object being skipped, and its speed. I would like to know, specifically, how this relates to rod-building?

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: September 15, 2020 05:26PM

Phil spend a day BASS fishing on any lake in the country where you mostly skip docks and you will see Very quickly how it relates to rodbuilng. As I believe the odds of you doing this are about as good as a snowballs chance hades I will refer you to google and YouTube

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 15, 2020 07:36PM

Phil, at times you remind me of a certain guy who uses Twitter a bit too much for his own good. Just a feeling I get, with no definitive data to back it up. Lol

Date: September 15, 2020 07:56PM

if your interested in building a rod for skipping, you want to understand the technique to some degree..i used to fish with two people who were skippers..one skipped plasiic worms like you would not believe and was written about in local paper after the outdoor writer fished with him once..he could easily skip the length of a twenty foot dock and it only stopped because it ran out of water..the other skipper only used a casting outfit with mainly jigs and i witnessed him puling a bass over eight pounds from under a dock..i really regret not trying to make a stronger effort to learn from these two people but i was too busy catching really nice bass by flipping jigs and big jelly worms..skipping is very deadly in the right hands..

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 17, 2020 11:36AM

I can skip a fly-rod bug under and around things pretty well but it doesn't matter much what reel or rod blank I use as long as long as it's a #7 or over. For guys like me (big Twitter fans) it's still the speed of the fly/plug, the surface area which strikes water, and the angle at which it strikes the water which produces and limits the "skip" not the rod, the reel, or the guide train. In this new age individual intuition seems to have replaced the physical sciences, but I can't even imagine how a reel changes a lure's behavior on a slack line?

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: September 17, 2020 12:43PM

I consider myself pretty proficient with a bait caster but not for skipping. I use either a 6 or 5 1/2' spinning rod.

Date: September 17, 2020 01:13PM

Thanks Alex..does an extra fast rod skip better or easier than a moderate action or maybe it doesn,t matter..Thanks..

Posted by: Chad Huderle (162.95.148.---)
Date: September 17, 2020 02:12PM

Other aspects of my life have reduced my rod building opportunities over the few past few years but I still check in here every couple days so thought I'd chime in.

I fish bass club tourneys throughout the summer and one of my confidence presentations is dock skipping with spinning gear. Though I no longer have time to build customer rods, I still build my own rods and have built 2 more for skipping this past year. One is for skipping baits such as wacky-rigged Senko worms and the other is for half once jigs with trailers. I can't stress enough how important it is to use an extra fast rod with strong backbone. An XF rod helps generate the tip speed needed to accurately skip the bait. The backbone is for quickly pulling the bass away from the dock. I use a minimum 12lb flouro leader tied to 30lb braided backing line.

For an excellent explanation search youtube for Andy Montgomery and skipping.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: September 17, 2020 04:30PM

some more great info..Thanks Chad..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster