I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod repair “starter kit”
Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: September 09, 2020 10:40PM

What assortment of guides, tip-tops or other would you recommend to have on-hand for rod repairs to avoid lag time of having to order and wait for shipping when doing repair work for someone?

Is there a certain set of parts that would help hit a 60-75% sweet spot?

What’s the best way to go about building up a repair parts inventory?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod repair “starter kit”
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 10, 2020 12:55AM

Michael,
Good luck receiving a definitive answer. Tip tops are probably the most common rod repair but with the multitude of ring sizes compounded with the varying tube sizes, it may be unlikely to ever have the appropriate one in stock. Obviously, the best array of rod repair items would be that gained from years in the business.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 10, 2020 01:42AM

Tip/Tops in sizes from #8 tube to #14, and #12 guides casting and spinning. Other than that you better start collecting every rod component known to man because you never know what will come in the door next. If you really want to start repairing rods every and any thing related to fishing rods will at some point be useful. You just have to have space for it. I've been repairing rods for over 30 years and I still get blindsided by a request for something unusual or unavailable.Just a few months ago I had to replace a set of plastic roller guides made by a well known reel company. I did'nt have them but, after checking @#$%& I found a like new set and the customer was tickled pink to have his favorite trolling rod back in action.Its impossible to stock everything and you wont know what you need until you 've been doing it for a while.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: September 11, 2020 02:57AM

Its a rod tip , for goodness sake, it aint rocket science. Fifty years fixing tackle and when a customer walks in needing a tip its likely because they want to go fishing. I been buying assorted size tip kits from fleabay for years . Do yourself a favor, pick up a tip gauge, it will save a lot of time and grief.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 11, 2020 08:12AM

Yes, many times its all done for Goodness Sake.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 11, 2020 03:44PM

Michael

For starters focus on tips, you can get a 3pc assortment of Fuji guide tips from most sporting good stores or order a tip assortment from any of the vendors listed on the left.

If some one needs a tip you tell them, I have these good quality (brand) tips and I can have you out of here within the hour. If you want something specific, it will have to be ordered, leave the rod and call back in a week, if he leaves it, order the parts and repair the rod. The up side to ordering parts is that you can lessen the pain of shipping costs by ordering other items you may need at this time.

Some of my inventory comes from the trash bins and garage sales. This source of rod parts sometimes can provide the parts for older rods that folks have an attachment for.

If you build or repair enough rods over time you will accumulate boat load of new and used parts.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Marcos Rodriguez (---)
Date: September 15, 2020 10:50PM

This really varies by area. I do 80%inshore and rest offshore maybe couple bass rods and fly. Most common iis size 6-8 ring 4-8 tube.. Tips are usually done in house by tackle shop on the spot tho. Guides id get how many u need for a month or 2 or whatever u can afford. Single foot Guides maybe more of the 8-16.Sizes Some double foot casting and double foot spinning. All black That’s most production rods.Common af There is always a trivia guide in the mix you might have to do some home work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster