I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A wrapper made for me (and maybe you)
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.qwest.net)
Date: September 09, 2020 03:59PM

Many of you know that I've been hanging around on this forum for almost a decade now and other than Fuji and POINT Blank I don't talk much about other products...if ever. But recently, Flex Coat introduced its Dual Control Wrapping/Finishing Variable Speed DC Motor with foot control. I had many long discussions with Roger and John and Craig about my limited capability at the bench and I have openly admitted this shortcoming on this forum many times. I KNOW where to put a guide for top performance, I just have a little trouble PUTTING it there on the blank. My main problems have always been speed, overlapping thread during a "high speed" wrap, hand-cranking a power wrapper backward to correct said thread overlap (which is almost impossible using two fingers on a tip section that is 2mm in diameter with a big drive belt working against me). Then, choosing a finishing speed that seemed right until I needed to get a clean line behind the guide foot and had to rely on my foot to start and stop in just the right place

Yes, I know many of you are smirking at my inability to adapt and excel with very good equipment at hand but dadgummit it really affected my ability to ENJOY what I was doing. I also believed that I was NOT the only rod builder in the world having these issues. Anyway, Roger and company listened and worked and listened and worked and one of the first production models came to me a couple of months ago and I have worked with it since. I now ENJOY sitting down to wrap a rod. It's a pleasure. I choose MY wrapping speed. Stop instantly whenever I screw up, back up effortlessly to correct the boo-boo, and can dial fast finish speeds for butt wraps and slow finish speeds for micro guides. I can even turn the blank backward while finishing with the motor still running forward. This thing is smooth and loaded with controls at every setting - including reverse.

I would highly recommend this product for hand wrappers ready to make the first leap to a power wrapper. ESPECIALLY if you started with Flex Coat and have the supports and track already in place. It's plug-and-play out of the box. You can read more here, [flexcoat.com].

Happy wrapping... and finishing... and drying in the same place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A wrapper made for me (and maybe you)
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 09, 2020 06:50PM

Jim,
I second your recommendation. John and flex coat have done a fine job to get all of the items right for a good power source for power wrapping as well as for finish application. Enjoy.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2020 03:43PM

All I can say is that I am humbled by these comments. We work hard everyday at Flex Coat to support what we have and develop better solutions for rod builders. OEM quality. Thanks for the comments.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---)
Date: September 28, 2020 01:53PM

John,
Most of the rods I build are fly rods, whats the lowest speed for the drying application on this? I have a PacBay wrapper currently is there anyway this DC motor could be used with the PacBay track that I already have? Thanks.

Tim

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2020 10:35AM

Hey Tim

Even though we already communicated over email I wanted to post and answer.

The Dual Control motor is designed to drop in and work with Flex Coat track, but can easily be modified to work with any aluminum track system, as some of our customers have already done. However, our new DC777 machine comes with the most ergonomic alignment track, slot wall mounted roller supports, and comes with a thread control board and hand steady rest tray for finishing. Also, NEW to the motor is a lock that allows you to secure your rod straight up or down for guide alignment with our guide foot adhesive. The speed of the motor is 40 to 420 RPMS which is a good range of speed to wrap, finish and even cure all types of rods including fly rods.

I do get it, 40 RPMs sounds fast to those that have never tried it, but if I set the motor to 40 and showed you, I bet you would not think that was 40 RPMs. You would think it was much slower than that. When you learn what these speeds look like and, more importantly, the efficiency at which finish can be applied at higher speeds, and greater looking finish, I believe it is a game changer in finish application. When I see a video of hand rotating, or even 6 to 20 RPM gear motor finish application, I want to fall asleep. I understand that some complain about short working time with finish, well these higher speeds will cure that problem.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2020 12:25PM by John Cates.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster