I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: SPINE BUILDING UPDATE, MUCH NEEDED IT SEEMS
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 13, 2020 09:49AM

maybe your just curving the line, not the lures direction..if the lure changes, it can only go downward..

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 13, 2020 10:39AM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> maybe your just curving the line, not the lures
> direction..if the lure changes, it can only go
> downward..

to add..i,ve made side arm casts where by whipping the line to the opposite side in flight, i can make a slight change in direction but really not much..this effect is easier to do with a fly line..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2020 10:43AM

But this is all caster input, not spine effect. Once the cast is made, the rod isn't going be twisting, curving, etc. And... a twist is not taking the rod out of a straight casting plane to begin with.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2020 11:23AM

ben, the lure actually curves while in the air. How much it will curve in the air depends on the length of the cast, and the bait being cast. For me, buzzbaits and hollow bodied frogs are the easiest to curve. Curving a cast 5 or 6 inches isn't hard at all.

And Tom, you're absolutely right. The spine of a blank won't affect how the rod casts.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: September 13, 2020 12:49PM

My biggest takaway from this post, is someone wasted an awful lot of time and money on this craft to be so closed minded. But in over 50 years of doing this, I must say that I have encounters a lot of strange and different scenario regarding rod building

Ron Weber

Date: September 13, 2020 01:27PM

Ron, i don,t think he ever built a fishing rod..it,s just a kid or an adult with a kids mind having fun on his computer..Dave, all casts have a natural curve or arc as they go through the air but still follow the direction the guide tip put them on..in mid flight you may influence the arc by swinging the line to one side but that is actually making another cast because your moving the guide tip in another direction to make it..it,s a cast within a cast..the point is a lure goes in the direction of the rod tip movement..any additional separate tip movement changes the question..

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 13, 2020 02:33PM

Dave
I agree with you about moving the lure one way other the other, and also with tom's last comment.

But mostly when doing so, it is to curve the line while allowing the bait to remain on course.
I fish around a lot of Cyprus trees with wide hanging lower branches, that many times prevent being able to cast straight past a tree, to reel a crank bait, buzz bait spinner bait back close to the trunk.

In such cases I will cast directly over the tree , then sweep the rod's tip around in a complete half circle left or right depending on cast. (like if you were skipping a rope sideways.)
This allows the line to clear the branches so that I can continue that circle up under the branches with the rod's tip down low aiming at base of the trunk, engaging the reel, the line pulling tight
provides a straight path from the bait on opposite of tree past trunk back to tip, hopefully with a bass attached.

with plastic baits ill just flip or skip the bait in there

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2020 02:38PM

Ben, my initial response on this particular subject was a response to Phil Ewanicki's post stating ... "The moment the line is released during the cast the rod and the angler can only change the forward progress of the line in one direction - down - " You reiterated that train of thought. I merely stated, and Mr Gardener agrees, that that train of thought is incorrect. Anyhow .....

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 13, 2020 03:37PM

Slightly off topic, but Dale Clemens (a religious spiner of blanks and seller of spine finders, yours for a mere $75 in 1999 ) also said that a stress distribution test (static load test) be carried out on a spinning rod with the guides and reel on top. Force being applied by the line from the reel. Moving the guides as needed to keep the line from touching the blank. Nobody does that anymore either. Try it sometime and you'll see why. Not sure what the purpose was in the first place! Slightly off topic but another example of antiquated thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2020 03:39PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: September 13, 2020 04:08PM

so, i guess the law of inertia is incorrect also..we can trash the constitution but i don,t think mother nature is going to let us trash this one..lol.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: September 13, 2020 07:04PM

Lynn, you are exactly right !!! He does call for a stress test with the guides up regardless of what kind of rod it is. Also, if I remember correctly his procedure called for using one line to both load the blank and pass through the guides. Certainly not the easiest and most efficient way of doing it.

And Steve, I hope I didn't speak out of turn by saying you agree. I must have been typing my prior reply at the same time you were typing yours. I curve casts to get the bait behind objects that I couldn't get it behind them otherwise. It works great for getting a buzzbait or a frog behind bushes and standing timber that you'd otherwise cast over top of or from a different angle. And as I am sure you have experienced, there are times that you aren't going to get bit unless the bait is coming from the angle.

And Ben, I am not denying the laws of inertia. If the lure being cast was unencumbered, I would have the same thoughts as you. But the lure has a line attached to it. A line that is causing drag on the lure and a line that an angler can manipulate via rod movement.

Ya know, I used to think that skipping a skirted jig 6' back under a dock or low hanging tree using a casting rod, was impossible. That is until I saw it done, and learned to do it myself.

Date: September 13, 2020 08:34PM

Agreed David..

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 13, 2020 09:24PM

David

you did not speak out of turn
I totally agree with what you are saying and cast the same as you when working around cover and docks
Those abilities have put many extra bass and dollars in my pockets at tournament's.
Had a tournament partner couple years ago say " The reason your getting bites no one else is getting, is because your putting baits further back into stuff then anyone else then any one is getting to".

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 14, 2020 10:32AM

Once you release the line attached to the lure or weight, whether you are casting overhead or sidearm, the object you are casting will continue to travel in a straight line in the exact same direction the tip-top was going when you released the line. The weight does not remember the curved path it was taking and the line does not push or pull the weight in a curve.
Of course if you PULL your rod and line to the side the forward motion of the object being cast will stop and you can jerk your lure or weight backwards and/or sidewards, as dictated by the direction of your tip-top. You can pull a rope (or a fish line) but pulling a fishing line is not casting - quite the contrary. The spine of a rod does not push the line around either.
If you cast a fly line you can easily throw a curved cast because you are casting the line, not the fly.

Date: September 14, 2020 10:49AM

thanks Phil..i kinda suspected that..lol.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 16, 2020 12:25AM

'Hubris' oh my Mark! I had to look that puppy up. You learn something all the time on this forum. :-)

Posted by: Dufford Scott (---.as13285.net)
Date: September 16, 2020 03:48PM

You still don't get the simplest thing in the World
Like to put nonsense in my mouth which I didn't say
And talk tripe in general
It is a simple and basic observation that an unspined rod twisted HORRIBLY under load
Maybe you like to put rubbish in the minds of the customers you blag and fool, but you are certainly not going to do it to me!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2020 04:21PM

Dufford,

You're simply very, very wrong - any rod with the guides on top, regardless of spine orientation, will twist under load. And any rod with the guides along the bottom, regardless of spine orientation, will not twist under load.

This is a matter of simple physics. Please do some reading on lever arms.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: September 16, 2020 07:21PM

Literally thousands of years of experience by people on here, and someone new to the craft says we all do not know what we are doing . I guess we should all refer customers to him, as he is the only one who knows and has the correct knowledge to make a perfect build, because he paid a lot to learn it. LOL. In all reality I think we have been infiltrated by a troll who is just trying to stir things up. If you are so good, why not divulge your company and your rods so that we can see and intrepret just what we are doing incorrectly

Ron Weber

Posted by: David Boyle (---)
Date: September 17, 2020 04:02AM

Note to self: next time making a promotional post on rbo, mention spine. Seems likely to generate some interest.
DB

THREAD ART IS NOT A CRIME!
[threadcentral.net]

Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster