I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Point Blank rod for Deep Diving Crankbaits, 16-20 foot
Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: September 08, 2020 11:17AM

Does anyone on here own or built a point blank rod for deep diving crankbaits, 16-20 foot depth like DT16 or Mann's 20 plus. I see they have a 8' model that is moderate taper, or maybe one of the7'10" or 7'6' models.Looks like the PB801MXF would be a good choice Thank you.

Keith Langford

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2020 11:25AM by Keith Langford.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Point Blank rod for Deep Diving Crankbaits, 16-20 foot
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 08, 2020 05:05PM

I have no real experience with 20 foot cranks, but I have some good experience with Point Blanks. Just to get the conversation started, to induce those who know more than I about really deep cranks, I submit that the 731MHXF is the best for what you want to do. Sounds to me like the 7-6 models just don't fit, and easily could get to the point that they don't load well in casting lures of the weight I think those deep cranks are.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 09, 2020 08:40AM

Will these lures be used for trolling or casting?

Date: September 09, 2020 10:23AM

Phil, for casting and these crankbaits are typically between 3/4 and 1 oz.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.qwest.net)
Date: September 09, 2020 12:56PM

CPB7101MHM

Kyle Welcher, our ELITE Pro: "This is the lightest and most sensitive 7’10” cranking blank you’ll find. Designed specifically for slinging giant crankbaits effortlessly for 8 hours with no fatigue."

Date: September 09, 2020 01:33PM

Jim, if I click on the specs for that rod on the point blank website, it comes up PB 7101 MF and 1/8 to 1/2 oz lure weights, it also says on the website that there are 3 7'10" models but only lists 2 of them. So is that the wrong info for the PB7101 MHM

Date: September 09, 2020 04:05PM

Here are the specs. web being updated as new catalog progresses.

CPB7101MHM 7’10"
12-20lb mono • 20-30lb Braid
1/2oz to 1 1/2oz lures
But Dia 14.30mm
Tip 6.5mm
Wt 2.5oz
Med Heavy Mod
IP of 771gr

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 09, 2020 05:22PM

Good to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about, right Keith?

Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: September 09, 2020 08:03PM

Yes, Michael, that is why I ask questions here on this forum. I am getting pretty good at building the rods, making my own cork handles and guide layout but i am still uncertain of which blank will be the ultimate choice for the lures I am going to use it for. If I am going to buy the best guides and and a $200 blank want to make sure it's the right choice. Going by their website specs I would have chosen the PB801MFX.

Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: September 09, 2020 08:17PM

Jim, Get Bit nor The Rod Room carry this model and Mudhole says its unavailable for back order, do you have these blanks and know where I can get one. Thanks.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 10, 2020 07:03PM

I don't believe a highly sensitive would be much of a priority for me in a crankbait rod. However, as I find almost daily, I don't know everything.

Date: September 11, 2020 10:51AM

Lynn, I like to be able to feel what the crankbait is doing, what type of cover I am banging it into or dragging it across. Back in the day I used the ST. Croix glass cranking rods and they gave me this ability, only downside was they were extremely heavy,

Date: September 15, 2020 12:53PM

Keith, call our ofice at 251-943-4491 and ask for Aaron. He will know who is stocking that model. We are closed today due to hurricane Sally and likely tomorrow too,
but you can leave a message and he should get back to you.

Thanks,

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster