I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Rod Builder.. Could use a little help in ordering materials!
Posted by: Matthew Schafer (---)
Date: September 07, 2020 01:00PM

Hey everyone!

I'm a beginner rod builder (in my 30s) and I am working on making my first custom build from top to bottom. I've been a fisherman since I could walk, but I never dived into the intricacies of more advanced fishing. I've recently grabbed a few spinning rods/reels and have been fishing heavily the last few months (focusing on finesse ned/neko rigs, worming texas/carolina, and sm/md crankbaits and some jig setups.) I've repaired a few guides by hand with no building equipment, and I greatly enjoyed the intricacy to thread wrapping. Immediately purchased the book Custom Rod Building by Dale Clemens and I'm looking forward to getting my first 100% build started.

I thoroughly enjoy reading, and I know building a rod correctly takes a lot of time, research, and effort...

What I am looking for is someone experienced to look at my build/shopping cart @ mudhole.com (no credit card attached) and make sure all the components should fit. I am most concerned about the Fugi reel seat, decorative ring, fore grip, fighting butt - will fit the blank I've chosen..

If any of you are willing to double check my build so I am good to go with my materials I would greatly appreciate it. From there, I will come back if I need more specific questions answered, but after I've read and researched the problem.

Anyone interested to help, I will PM you my log in info for mudhole.com and I can also email a schematic of my build.

Thank you all, and I look forward to sharing my build when it's completed!

Sincerely,

Matthew Schafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Rod Builder.. Could use a little help in ordering materials!
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 07, 2020 01:47PM

Best way is to just ask Mudhole to select the winding checks, reelseat, if exposed blank, etc. before shipping it to you, you just need to tell them how long your rear grip will be. Whether you, or me you need that info to order.

Date: September 07, 2020 02:26PM

Gotcha, I think I'm going to remove this post because I already made some changes... still have some understanding to get down before I pull the trigger..

Thank you for responding!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 07, 2020 02:38PM

Trust your retailer on this info, just in case something is wrong you can avoid the cost of return shipping. I don't think any third party would want to get involved in that.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: September 07, 2020 02:58PM

Mathew, I know that the book you bought tells you that finding the spine of the rod blank is important, but it isn't. Use the search function on this web site and do a simple search relating to blank spine and you will have plenty of reading to do. I think after reading the various threads, you'll find that building on the straightest axis of the blank is what you're going to want to do.

Date: September 07, 2020 04:23PM

Awesome, that's good information about the spine. I appreciate all the input for sure.. Experience trumps all, that's why I'm reaching out!

And that makes sense not wanting to step in like that, looking to have someone review my rod build... but there's better ways of doing that..

I greatly appreciate all pointers, and it's great to know this community is so responsive!

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: September 08, 2020 06:27PM

I disagree that finding the spine is unimportant. Please see my post on the spine thread for my reasons why. You will see where different folks will tell you to purchase an inexpensive rod blank when first starting. I disagree with that as well. A good blank will still perform better than a cheap blank, even with minor building errors. Rod building isn't as difficult as some make it seem. Find the spine, and belly of the blank, mark them, and line up the guides appropriately. Use quality guides. I prefer Fuji, Concept, and American Tackle Microwave guides, with Sic, or Duralight inserts, respectively.

You can purchase kits from Winston, CTS, Batson, Echo, Sage,and and others. All of the parts are great quality components, ensuring that all parts will fit together properly. Get good tools. They will save you a great deal of time. Get the best adhesives. and threads. Me, I prefer CTS and Winston blanks. Read the library here for info on spines, om adhesives, on preparing the guides, and on loasing the blank to find the proper guide spacing.

Don't look at your first build as a learning or practice build. Look s it as the first of many quality builds.

Tight lines and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.sparklight.net)
Date: September 09, 2020 07:40PM

Mathew
Don't worry about the spine. That book is a good book and has a lot of good information in it. The spine was written about fiberglass blanks that had a prominent spine and in certain applications it probably was good information. With today's modern graphite and manufacturing many time you can find the spine or you may feel several different spines. If you want to build on it fine if you don't don't worry about it. I have been building for 30 plus years used to build on the spine exclusively. Now I don't worry about it. I can't tell the difference between a rod built on the spine and one that wasn't. There are a lot of good inexpensive blanks out there find one and build and enjoy the rod you build. A little thing to remember this is called CUSTOM RODBUILDING build it the way you want to build it. I have built on Winston, Batson, St. Croix, Talon, Sage, several independent maker (Sevier). They all were good blanks and the people built them for are all very happy with them.
Remember if you aren't having fun it's not worth doing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster